XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's complicated.

One wildcard is that the 9550 and 9560 had a significantly underspecced VRM to fit everything in the small case.

Consequence of VRM design (and lack of cooling) was that it got hot fast and the mosfets get increasingly inefficient so keep getting hotter spiraling into thermal hell. Dell resolved that with a simple logic that throttles system once the local VRM ambient temp sensor hits about 77C; it reads power limit flag. There are hundreds of posts of people trying to snake around Dell's VRM flag.

We don't have enough data on the 9570 to know if Dell has the same scheme. But the basic chipset, VRM, motherboard, case, etc. are essentially similar for all three generations.

abujafar likes this.
  2. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    And that is why I am still not sure wether to order the 9570 or not.

I would also love a better GPU but it seema none of the competitors with similiar sizr and better GPU are able to handle the heat without throttling.

Would also hope for a Thinkpad with same cpu/gpu and size because Dell customer support/service just simply sucks too much.

3. Saaaaa

Saaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also love thinkpads, my laptop is a X1 yoga oled, but it cannot handle video or photo edit nicely.... and there are no other options as good as dell XPS in thinkpad line... :-((((

4. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If money is not an issue, thin gaming laptops like the aero 15x, msi gs65, and the razer blade 15 have same CPU and a better GPU. They all still have some thermal limitation but MAYBE not as severe as XPS15.
    It's hard to tell at this point because all these machines are pretty new.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  5. Saaaaa

Saaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    MSI screen is limited to 1080p, which is a limitation for video/photo editing..... The Aero 15x seems to be good option but the problem is that I dont know how good is gigabyte support, power supply is much bulkier, no i9 cpu, it's heavier and the price is the same...

6. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So when we get a new 9570 and do the mandatory throw away of the Killer NIC crap, what should we replace it with? Intel 9560, Intel 9260 or something else? As I understand it, 9560 and 9260 is the same card, just with different connector?

7. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've seen quite a few people complain about DELL support. I have had quite a few of their laptops and no problems with their technical support, which I have used quite a few times. I understand that a bad opinion is more widely spread than a good one, but speaking from experience, DELL and Lenovo are quite similar high quality regarding the on-site support. I have never used the mail-in warranty though.

8. Tsunpl

Tsunpl Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anybody tried using 9570 with TB16 or any other docking station? I'm considering purchase, I can live with thermal issues, but having a reliable dock is a must for me, and it's hard to find any info on that.

9. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    My own bad experience with Dell:
    Bought my max spec XPS 9530 for ~2200€. 1 month after the standard warranty ran out I get a red thin line on my screen. Called Dell and they told me that they do not have any replacement displays anymore although the device was only 1-2 years old. I should **** off and buy a new laptop instead. So I threatend them that by law they have to offer replacement parts for a certain amount of time after an article has been released. Some Dell guy calls me and tells me they have a replacement. But with the display+repairing costs around 1000€.

10. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Question has been raised numerous times and I guess there is nothing new to say unless it works differently with the 9570 which I doubt.