XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. luke1333

luke1333 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anybody else update to the new bios 1.6 and experience any issues? Seems a little sluggish at times now for me

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No issues besides all the stuff I wish Dell would fix for me...

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @eucalyptus - Have you tried using the ThrottleStop - FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature yet? Your screenshot showed that this was not checked.

[​IMG]

If something is messing with your power limits, perhaps this can help. I would also not check the BD PROCHOT box and for maximum performance, I would use a Speed Shift EPP value of 0.

Try running a test without XTU installed, boot up and do not run HWiNFO. Only run ThrottleStop. Run a TS Bench test and while this test is running, take a screenshot with the Limit Reasons window open.

Papusan, pressing and custom90gt like this.
  4. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, I am gonna test that when they have swapped my motherboard :)

As for now, I am running a clean bios and fresh install of windows, I mean with a fresh install I should not have the power limits... I don't want to mess around because I want to show the technician what's wrong.

5. PhotographyEnthusiast

PhotographyEnthusiast Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All

Not an owner at the moment but the XPS 15" (9570) is on my list of laptops that I am considering at the moment.

There seems to be a lot of concerns with the laptop:
    • Temperatures can be helped with re-pasting which I am comfortable with doing and also adjusting voltages which is something I have never done.
    • Standby issues, not sure they will bother me as I tend to always shut down my laptop when I have finished using it and then power back on when required.
    • Wireless, again if its a problem I can easily change the card out.
    • Windows clutter which is solved by a clean install, again not an issue fo rme.
    Is there anything else that I have missed apart from just the usual of parts randomly failing etc which I guess can happen on any laptop. I am a bit of a geek so happy opening it up.

I am not a big gamer (Euro Truck Simulator & American Truck Simulator being the heaviest graphics wise) and they run fine on my 970m that I currently have. The main use will be for Photoshop, Lightroom & Programming (HTML, Python, Java etc as part of a Computer Science Degree).

Its basically a potential play off at the moment between this and the Lenovo Extreme X1 which is £400 more expensive but has part availability problems from what I have read, ok it comes with Win10Pro which is a nice saving of £100.

Would be looking at the 4k, i7, 16Gb, 512Gb version. What is the SSD like in that or should I be budgeting to get a better one. Again probably will not notice if it is a slower one given I am on Sata6 SSD speads at the moment with a 6 year old Samsung.

Thanks for any insights from all you owners.

Paul

6. micmex

micmex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It changed my screen calibration to very colourful for some reason and I am still struggling to correct it

7. lefti696

lefti696 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you @_sem_ @custom90gt . I will analyze your benchmarks and perform something similar and let you know about the results.

8. luke1333

luke1333 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yes mine did too. i went right back to 1.5 after some performance issues and yes my icons got really bright as well for some reason

9. luke1333

luke1333 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello there,

Temps aren't that bad but I don't do anything real heavy. Runs between 35-50° C at idle and anywhere from 60-80° C with anything like photoshop or rendering something. Had it hit 90s once during stress testing just to see how hot it gets but that was a full load on CPU constantly.

Standby/Wireless issues, every few times I will have to reconnect to my network but it has rarely happened and no big deal if it does to me. I have heard if you delete the killer drivers and use intel drivers the issue goes away but has not been a big enough concern of mine.

Windows clutter, yes it is there. At some point I will do a clean install, probably when I upgrade the ssd. Only have a 256 ssd in mine with 2000 read and 1300 write speeds. Samsung evo can do about 3500 and 2000 respectively. I would recommend getting smaller ssd from dell and upgrading later to a bigger, faster one.

Lastly I believe it is like $50-60 for windows 10 pro upgrade at dell.com, do not know where you are buying from though. Hope that helps you

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Here we go, sir...

[​IMG]
    Dell confirms that it is fixing the GPU issue that affects some XPS 15 9570 laptops Notebookcheck.net | 2018/12/12
    Dell has backtracked on its decision that the XPS 15 9570 does not have an NVIDIA GPU issue. The company has informed us that it is working on a fix that it aims to roll out via an updated BIOS by the end of this month.