XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The X1 Extreme, from my two weeks of using it, definitely does some things better than the XPS 15 9570, but others worse. Better port selection and a newer WiFi card out of the box is great. Pre-configured 16gb models coming with a single 16gb stick in single channel is an oddity, and can really reduce performance in some scenarios versus two 8gb sticks in dual channel. Thermals were pretty disappointing, and the keyboard area was more uncomfortably hot than the XPS 15 9570 I had for nearly a month in such load situations. Audio performance was stronger on the Thinkpad. Worse FHD screen than the XPS 15, especially in terms of max brightness, but I had no perceivable bleed, unlike the Dell I had. Quality control is a mixed bag on both machines, from the looks of it. I am returning my X1 Extreme due to some issues with freezing, along with a loud touchpad and some bezel popping at the top of the display, which is something I've experienced during my initial foray into the XPS 15, the 9560. Battery life is alright on the FHD model of the X1 Extreme, but it is inherently weaker than the XPS 15, which is top in its class, due to a significantly smaller battery. No idea what I'll end up buying next. Hopefully I won't get quality control issues forcing me to return whatever machine that is.

And in my market, it has been cheaper recently than an XPS 15 9570 with the same specs.

improwise, splus and jeremyshaw like this.
  2. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    US market. Discounted X1E usually runs a bit cheaper than a similar XPS15. In the past few days, the XPS 15 didn't even come close in pricing.

3. inffy

inffy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was there somekind of adaptive brightness setting hidden somewhere on the 9570 or was it only a "problem" with the 9370? I tried to look in the BIOS but couldn't find anything

EDIT: Also what Thunderbolt 3 dock are people using or suggesting to get? Dell has its own TB16 which comes with a enough powerfull charger to fully power the XPS and also Lenovo has few docks with powerful chargers.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  4. annabel_shanderin

annabel_shanderin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  5. inffy

inffy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A couple of "strange" driver updates for the 9570.

1) SK Hynix SSD firmare that "Fixed a compatibility issue with the Intel graphics driver that could result in a blue screen error."

What does the SSD have to with the Intel Graphics?

2) Intel RST that "Supports the C10 power management status that improves the battery life".

7. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Have anyone had any success connecting an external mic (headset) to a Dell laptop??

I am using my Sennheiser Game Zero headset with usb dac. But I want to use the microphone.

So I bought a splitter, you know one 3.5mm aux split into green and red (audio/mic). The adapter works as it worked on my phone.

But the laptop refuses to work. It is dead set on using the build in super cheap crap microphone... Can't get rid of the built-in mic.

One guy said that it could probably that the XPS laptops are not build to have MIC > IN and therefore don't have the channels to manage the sound

8. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    When you plug in the mic does it ask you what type of device you plugged in? If not you may want to reinstall the Dell audio drivers.

9. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I updated all my drivers. It does not ask for anything, I don't even think it recognizes anything....

Are there some place I can download dell audio or?

10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Dannemand likes this.