XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think that specifically might not be a bug but by design. I can see, that the CPU cant sleep or has to hold a lower c state, because of the ThunderBolt interface. It is very high bandwidth and time critical, so the CPU mostly is set to not allowed to sleep. Or do you mean, that it is stuck, after you unplug your ThunderBolt device? Or drain during sleep?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It is stuck unable to go below C3 after being unplugged and even shut down or restarted. In order to fix it, I need to go to BIOS or plug a Type-C device of some sort into the TB3 port.

3. maffle

Reputations:
    Even with bios 1.5.0? Did you disable modern standby? Or is this on all laptops of yours, do you still own the XPS 9570?

4. maffle

Reputations:
    @abujafar

Actually there is a tool for that since years with a driver, which can overwrite the EC

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ol-fans-on-dell-laptops-under-windows.805317/

https://github.com/marcharding/DellFanControl

I never tested it so far, because some people claimed it doesnt work with the 9570, others said it works fine. It is also never made as a good user experience so far. You have to install a non-signed driver to make it work, and Windows 10 just allows that, if you turn off driver signature check or enable testsigning mode, which I find a bit "risky". I also dont trust precompiled exe that much and the author doesnt offer one himself on his github, so I would have to install Visual Studio to compile it.

Maybe someone wants to test around it, or I will do it one day myself.

The "basic" is there, it would be actually nice, if someone would build up on it and bring out a good tool, which has a trusted signed driver (not sure if that is even possible), or maybe would work without installing a kernel driver.

It is kinda stupid, and typical, that the fans in the XPS just allow 3 fan profiles, 2500 is just way too much for the lowest state, and 500 or 1000 RPM would do the trick too.

--

Intel's latest gpu driver 6326 btw had this changelog entry:

- Screen may flicker at low brightness levels in certain panels when DPST is enabled

Maybe this solves the flicker issues some of you had here with DPST enabled.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  5. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Eason So what is you take on the Thinkpad X1E vs the XPS15 9570 then? I thought you had given up on the X1E due to delivery problems and gotten the P1 instead but see now there is a review on your site of it. I have found out that the 9570 is kind of like CounterStrike GO, easy to get frustrated by but trying to get rid of it has turned out to be harder than I imagined :D

6. lefti696

lefti696 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    turns out it is 1.2.2 with higher temp limit. Maybe during weekend i will make some benchmarks to compare this two to measure real difference.

ovasquez19 and custom90gt like this.
  7. Mr X

Mr X Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK. I will give that a shot

8. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I like the P1/X1E a lot more than the XPS 15. It's much more stable, especially in sleep, and the deck material + keyboard feels much better. The remaining niggle is the keyboard detection issue, which will mean typos if you are a fast (80WPM+ or so) typist.

maffle and pressing like this.
  9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't have the XPS 15 9570 anymore, but it happens with my ThinkPad P1. I haven't disabled modern standby in regedit yet, but i will try it now.

maffle and pressing like this.
  10. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    A few of the damn annoying things about the XPS15 is it has great battery life for any notebook, nevermind one of it's size and power. It's also quite small for a 15.6" laptop. marginally, the smallest. Has quite decent screens, even on the base model.

Those things had me looking at the XPS15 for a long, long time. The input interfaces (KB+"mouse") eventually sunk it for me. I wish I could have struck the XPS15 off of my list earlier, but it's almost perfect in size and longevity.