XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, I never had any flickering with any driver I've used.
    I switched to the new driver from Intel website because I read its change log, and it looks like they improved lots of things and fixed some bugs.
    But in all honesty, I don't see any difference...
    I only disabled the driver updating (System properties, Hardware tab, Device installation settings, No) because Windows automatically "updates" to the driver from Dell.

Maybe it has something with the sensors particularly in your laptop?
    I really hardly ever get the fans running, and never get this 1 second fan spin that some people mention. I guess you could "debug" and observe ALL the sensors, and see to which sensor the fans react the most...
    If you suspect it's mostly related to the Intel GPU then have you tried to enable all the Intel Graphics power savings to the max? That might push the GPU to be less active and therefore less hot. I don't know... Or update to the newest Intel GPU driver...

maffle likes this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does padding the PCH to the bottom case help? Dell had a very low temp threshold for the 9550 and 9560, maybe 38*C but I can't remember.

Of course, Dell Command I Power Manager can be used to reduce fan speed by selecting "quiet". And you can set SpeedShift EPP=0 to help a bit.

maffle likes this.
  3. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes it comes and goes. Usually reinstalling the driver will make it go away for a while.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

4. luke1333

luke1333 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    awesome thanks i will see if it makes any difference with battery or performance! Have not have any issues though with screen flickering but I have 4k panel if that makes a difference!

5. ApplesOfEpicness

ApplesOfEpicness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure if anyone else has this issue, but I’ve recently noticed that my i9 has been power throttling hard. Previously, I could cinebench in the 1200s with the core clock holding 4ghz for at least 30 seconds. Now it seems that any load causes it to shift back to 12w power draw (2ghz - PL1 limit) and performance absolutely tanks. Temperatures aren’t an issue so what’s going on? It is plugged in.

Bios 1.5.0

Cheers.

Maleko48 likes this.
  6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Has there been any progress on resolving this issue? Very annoying to deal with and it makes me not want to use my eGPU.

Maleko48 and maffle like this.
  7. Ernstl

Ernstl Newbie

Reputations:
    ? via 130W power adapter or TB dock + 240W ? (TB + 180W only supply 65W!)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  8. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, I didn't know they changed the temperature limit for power throttling on the GPU from 78°C to 74°C until now. That's really an bad move. I am not an owner of the XPS yet, but since this is still the line I'd go with, such things make me angry. The more I read, the more I could puke.

Also: why do they always limit the GPU? The CPU always overheats earlier, but they give it temperatures like 90°-100°C whereas the GPU stays much cooler (actually in almost every existing notebook the 1050/Ti stays around 15-20°C cooler compared to the CPU), and yet throttle the GPU instead of the CPU. How dumb is that?

And don't anyone to tell me that CPU is so much more important, because if it were, then they should just put no GPU in there at all, or a MX150 at best. Because who needs the gtx 1050Ti anyway... only gamers... but "this is not a gamer notebook"... huh? Why is it even in there?!

Why not put a gtx 1060 in there? With throttling methods like above everything is possible... advertise it as the best of the best laptop and just cripple it again at 74°C... (that's probably what we have to expect in future).

Anyways, to cut the rant:
    In the Dell forums someone said, when he disabled some "Thermal Framework", that the 74°C limitation was gone and the GPU was throttled only by purely hardware throttling somewhere between 85-90°C.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/...U-set-point/m-p/6201913/highlight/true#M19258
    Is this true?
    Have others tried it as well?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2018
    maffle and splus like this.
  9. lefti696

lefti696 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    you are right. Going back with bios to 1.2.2. Limit is rised from 75C to 78C.
    https://imgur.com/a/mEZ94ov

custom90gt and maffle like this.
  10. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    maffle likes this.