XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    About the S3 and Dell's reply - the way I understood this reply, reading between the lines, is not that the system doesn't "support" S3, but that they simply don't want to go back to S3, and that's it. It just isn't an option for them.

I actually think it's more likely that Microsoft wants to phase out S3 in Windows (in fact, it's actively doing it) and has told the manufacturers that they'll gradually stop supporting it in new Windows 10 updates, and manufacturers have no option but to follow. XPS 9570 was released with S3 just because that was a part of the "old" BIOS, and, in Dell's eyes, they have "corrected" this "mistake" by removing the "old, redundant option" in the BIOS update.

No new laptop models will come with S3, only modern standby. Microsoft wants to retire the old sleep, and is pushing the new modern standby.
    The fact that the modern standby is still not fully ready (and buggy or not fully compatible on many systems) is a whole different topic. Give it another year or two, and it'll be good.
    But for now - that's just the way it is, and it's up to us to try to deal with it. Not fair and not right, but that's how it is.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Ashtrix, improwise and maffle like this.
  2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @splus Yes, of course, it is that. They don't want to, or MS told them they have to, or the intern structure of Dell doesnt understand the issue (one document says this is a modern standby device, someone other reads it, thinks doesnt support S3, ect). They "designed" (actually they did nothing, the 9560 would have been able to support modern standby too already, the 9550 mostly too) this laptop to be a "modern standby" device as a Windows device. They mostly have some intern "moral/business concerns" or contract with MS, that this is just what they want. The device supports S3 obviously. And as a buyer, you have to conclude from this. There are still other options on the market. Lenovo changed their mind and gave back S3 for some laptops, and it is also working on their machines.

Yet, the XPS are officially coming with Linux too (and Dell gives Linux support), and Linux uses S3. So that argument doesnt hold here.

Also MS cant "force out" S3. They always have to support S3 as a backward compatibility option.

Want to know how awesome modern standby is again? Just yesterday, I put the XPS to sleep with modern standby with AC connected. There was just normal stuff running, some Chrome tabs, some videos in them. And guess what? The laptops fans spun on every 2-3 minutes for 1-2 minutes. Went off. Then again, and again, and again, and again. This happened for about 1 hour with the lid closed. The temps of the laptop were about 44°C when I closed the lid.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Ashtrix and Eason like this.
  3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    MS and modern standby. When I spend 2-3000 USD on a system, I bought it, I own it, and I want to control it. If you don't give me that, I will buy elsewhere and recommend others to do the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2018
    maffle and pressing like this.
  4. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, with all the problems we are having with the XPS15, what realistic alternatives do we have if we should consider something else? I did a try with a Thinkpad P52 and as a computer it kind felt superior in most regards. However, weight, size and design kind of felt like I wanted to call the 90s and tell that I found their missing computer :) But from a performance, DPC etc situation the P52 is just better.

The only alternatives I can think of are the ThinkPad X1E and the ZBook G5 Studio

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...GTX-1050-Ti-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.335608.0.html
    https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/hp-zbook-studio-x360-g5

Where the ZBook is tempting but a bit concerned about weight and size on that that (the none x360 is supposed to be a bit lighter but still a bit heavier than the XPS15 I think).

Or is it so that the 9570, with all its issues, is still the best alternative?

(The Thinkpad P1 seems to be basically the same as the X1E in this regard)

pressing likes this.
  5. splus

Reputations:
    Thinkpad X1E looks very good. Extra thunderbolt port, better and spill proof keyboard (and especially the cursor keys, which is, in my eyes, the worst thing about the XPS).

But reviews mention X1E gives only 5-6 hours of battery life, and it's just not cutting it for me. It's not just 80 Wh vs. 97 Wh battery, but XPS somehow has better battery life per Wh. If you don't care about battery life then yeah, X1E seems like a better laptop.
    Oh yes, and if you don't care about the price difference!

Unrelated, but I just saw this:
    https://www.neowin.net/news/next-wi...ke-your-pc-faster-following-spectre-slowdowns

I think this is a great news. God knows how much of all the weird CPU behaviour and glitches come from the small kernel glitches because of those patches...

6. luke1333

luke1333 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    They are so much more money though then the xps 15!

7. SwordOS

SwordOS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    At the end I sold my xps at a reasonable price. Not going to deal with these issues anymore.

efjay, maffle and pressing like this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    HP has been a corporate disaster for well over decade, struggling with terrible leadership, strategy, fraud & finances. They really lost their way from the innovative, world-class edge engineering shop they once were. I doubt HP are really focused on producing world-class laptops.

Dell is what it is. Relatively cheap laptops with half-hearted cowboy engineering. I really like my 9550 but Dell is not willing or able to fix all the quirks.

Lenovo has produced some excellent laptops; if you have critical secret data, I'm not sure I would trust a Chinese brand. Albeit, any laptop you purchase is likely sourced from China lol.

The big non-BGA laptops with open-BIOS are really the performance kings. Downsides include size, design, and price. But they seem to deliver what they promise so are a good value in my view.

Ashtrix, Eason, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  9. SwordOS

SwordOS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what about asus?

10. splus

Reputations:
    If I remember well for you the GPU performance was more important than CPU?
    If you want a thin and light laptop with a good GPU, then why not go for Aero or Razer? They should be both pretty good. It all depends what you want.

As for brands - you can always have a bad luck with any brand. Or good luck and no problems. But in general I don't think Asus has a good reputation in regard to quality and support, at least not in the last couple of years. Razer was real bad, but it looks like they're turning it around.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018