XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am almost certain that's vrm throttling. Graph the EC temp sensors with hwinfo and keep an eye on any sensor that hits a peak around the time the CPU clocks first start.

2. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Eason I know, but we are gonna have to wait for the tweaked review. Here I am already at work parsing random people's data.

3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Can you uncheck "BDprochot" in Throttlestop? The 9560 appeared to hit that limit as well, but was was because the vrm coincidentally hit 77C around that time. Also, the 1050/1050ti will throttle around 79C, keeping temps down.

Edit: sorry I thought it was your data!

pressing likes this.
  4. abujafar

Reputations:
    the BDprochot flag is off in the data that I have.

I wish I had the Dell EC sensor data available!

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  5. dustinj

dustinj Newbie

Reputations:
    I just saw that Samsung has released 32GB DDR4 SO-DIMMs. Will these work in the 9570? How about the 9560?

Edit: Just checked intel's website and it looks like both the 9560 and 9570's processors support 64GB.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  6. micmex

micmex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What are your experience with delivery time? How long time from order to shipment and delivery?
    Where does it ship from?

7. abujafar

Reputations:
    Regarding the "large pad bridge method" that a user on reddit proposed for the 9650.
    He is also putting the laptop on a cooling pad with fans... Maybe that's the reason for his results...

8. Jff007

Jff007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wrote that post. Have you read through all of it? The post is kind of a mess, so I can see how things might get lost in it. I outright stated that the cooling pad makes a 2 degree difference. I have no throttling with it off. At all. I made this account to clear up this confusion. I made what I did after reading through each and every post here and elsewhere. After seeing that, when others put pads from the plastic to the case bottom, it caused severe heat issues. That's what led to the idea.

The goal was to move just enough heat to prevent throttling. That's what it does. It clearly impacts the CPU and GPU temperatures, so there is heat being moved. It's not efficient, but it works.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    abujafar and pressing like this.
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you have time, feel free to post a summary and pictures here as any novel solution that works is well worth documenting.

10. Jff007

Jff007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Of course, I'll be glad to share it. It's a bit of a mess, as I said above. It was months of work, and a lot of it is out of date. I mixed in a lot of ideas I saw around here and on a few other sites. I think I made notes on everything important, but if I missed anything, please ask and I will clarify. Sadly, I lost some of my temperature notes I had kept on paper. But I have posted what I can.

Here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/7orxcs/how_to_get_your_xps_15_running_cold/

abujafar likes this.