XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay this is now getting very hard to turn down...

XPS 9570
    4K Ultra HD
    Intel i7-8750H
    32GB Ram
    1TB SDD
    3 year warranty
    3 year accidental cover

£1,961.51...

I have until 26th September to pull the trigger, and with only Whiskey Lake 15w laptops coming out, is it worth me sticking with my XPS 9360 another year for next years laptops, or pull the trigger on this?

2. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @iMbaQ we can't make these calls for you. You should weigh all the pros and cons and make your decision.
    Do you NEED it? Probably, not. Your laptop is just one year old or less. Do you really want it? If you have the money, go for it.

This is coming from someone who changes laptop only once it's incapable of fulfilling my workflow (that means 4+ years).
    But I understand that there are people that who want the new thing and have the money for it.

maffle likes this.
  3. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the base model of the 9360 (256GB, 8GB RAM) so the performance difference will be immense. It will speed up my dev work but like you said, it isn’t a requirement. Hmmm..

4. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess I could ask you the same question :)

It was the best option all in all and Lenovo took forever to get the P52 out. Have one being delivered next week though, will be interesting to compare. However, I am far from certain that the P52 will be the daily driver. But the new P1 and X1Es are interesting, direct competitors to XPS15 so Dell needs to up their game. Have not checked for actual reviews though.

5. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Am I the only one btw in this thread, who has the stuck at Dell logo problem at boot and no circular loading icon appears? It is really annoying and I have no idea, whats causing it. I had the exact same issue on the first 9570 I sent back, and this second one has it too. And it is also present after a clean Windows 10 installation. I would say from a cold boot, it happens 4 out of 20 times, maybe a bit more. I then have to power it off and on again, and then it is like a dice throw if it works or not. And if Im unlucky, it happens 2-4 times in a row, and then Windows 10 boots directly into auto repair... says couldnt repair any problems, reboot, and then it maybe works again... or not. The laptop isnt frozen or anything, because the LEDs light up and shift lock press also works. It looks like a stupid Windows bug to me. Tried to disable Windows fast boot, didnt show any help for this.

pressing likes this.
  6. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, had the exact same problem as reported perhaps 100 pages back. My third 9570 does not have this problem though, but a few others instead. If I recall correctly, switching back to RAID and disabling S.M.A.R.T reporting during startup led to some minor improvements, although it is hard to tell since it does not appear everytime and those machines went back anyway quite soon.

maffle and pressing like this.
  7. seiyafan

seiyafan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had that happen to me once after I disabled a hardware feature in BIOS, it would stuck at the dell logo and go no further. After I changed back the problem disappeared.

8. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice... I had the issue on the first 9570 with no changes to the bios and RAID with SKH SSD. I have the issue on the second one with AHCI and Samsung SSD. The only thing I changed in bios are

- enabled SMART reporting
    - changed F keys to normal behavior
    - disabled touch
    - disabled cameras

9. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    New firmware out 1.4.1

Fixes & Enhancements
    Fixes:
    1. Fixed an issue that some systems show incorrect VGA name in BIOS setup
    2. Corrected the touch screen disable behavior in BIOS setup
    3. Fixed a potential system hang issue when an incorrectly formatted password is entered at the BIOS Security Manager (BIOS pre-boot password) prompt
    4. Fixed a potential issue with binary image measurement using the Linux UEFI shim boot loader

Enhancements:
    1. Added BIOS Password Feature: Master Password Lockout

splus, maffle and custom90gt like this.
  10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Would be nice if they fixed the throttling set-point for the GPU. I get 1.0-1.2GHz in Far Cry 5 on the GPU.