XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can confirm the abysmal performance of the SK Hynix 512 GB drive. I just tried to copy a 30 GB file, just a regular copy-paste, and the file transfer speed was on average 150 MB/s! Yes, 30 GB file copy took entire 3 minutes! That's slower than the SSD in my 7 years old laptop with old SATA3 interface!
    When I try CrystalDisk benchmark, at first it reports 300 MB/s seq write speed. When I re-run it again it goes up to 600, and when I do it the third time the seq write speed goes to 1100 MB/s. Something is wrong with this drive...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    maffle, Spartan and pressing like this.
  2. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And you know for a fact that this was because of the Hynix SSD and not something else like BIOS settings, anti-virus, power settings, no other tasks running at the same time etc? My Samsung Pro SSD can also appear to be slow from time to time when using it on the XPS15, but I doubt that the SSD alone is the reason for that.

pressing likes this.
  3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Do you have the latest firmware for the drive itself? If I recall correctly there was a firmware update that fixed write speed issues with the drive.

4. splus

Reputations:
    Yes. No antivirus program, and Windows defender is s disabled. The file being copied wasn't on the indexing folder list either. I tried with some programs idling, and with all programs closed, ThrottleStop off and on, and all power modes on the power slider, and no difference. No any changes in the BIOS.
    Actually, on battery the large file copy speed goes to 200 MB/s with 2 second spikes going up to 450 MB/s every 15 sec or so. The speed on AC is constant 150 MB/s. For both on battery and on AC the file copy starts much faster and then drops down within several seconds.
    I really have no idea what could cause such a slow speed...
    Maybe I should try switching to AHCI?

Yup, I just checked, I have the latest firmware.

maffle likes this.
  5. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are there any way to manage the brightness buttons? Lowest percentage is "0%" which is actually like 15% and then increases with 10 for every click up to 100. While in Windows you can control it with increasements of just 1%. For example the jump between 0-10-20-30% is very steep, and in a dark room none of them are perfect. Would like to have smaller increasements and more clicks on the buttons :)

6. micmex

micmex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Try Windows Mobility Center

7. splus

Reputations:
    Have you tried using Flux to make your display warm for low light evenings? It makes the screen considerably less bright, and you can adjust it to be more warm (orange) or less. It feels MUCH easier on eyes in evenings! I suppose most people use Flux, or at least the built in Windows night light, which is far less customizable...
    There are 2 warmth settings in Flux, 1 for early evenings and 1 for late evenings, so you can have your screen just slightly warmer than during the day for early evenings and more warm (and less bright) for late evenings. I actually like to keep my screen slightly warm even during the day, I find it gentler on the eyes.
    You can also set it up so it's automatically disabled for whichever application you want and when apps are in full screen mode. And it has a very handy shortcut key to disable it completely for an hour...

There's another free program called SunsetScreen which does the similar thing, but in addition it can just decrease the screen brightness (without making the screen warm). I think it simply overlays the screen with a grey filter, which can be fine tuned from 0 (completely dark) to 255 (full brightness of the current Windows brightness).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    eucalyptus likes this.
  8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Purchased a 9570 from the outlet and boy does it need repasted. Two of the cores hit 100C while the rest are at <80C... Will try to make time to do it today, but not sure if that will happen.

Spartan and pressing like this.
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wonder if that is a bent heatsink. . . You will soon see.

maffle and custom90gt like this.
  10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Yeah I literally can't run Prime95 for more than a second before it starts to thermal throttle. Not super excited about Dell's quality control on that. If my father had purchased this laptop he wouldn't know something was wrong outside of the fans running nearly all the time...

Papusan and pressing like this.