XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No one really knows sadly. Most people would never know the difference between a PM981 and the toshiba drive (most as in like 99% of people).

2. shengna

shengna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Right. It only shows difference in test scores. But it's still annoying.

3. bwrlane

bwrlane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can’t say but I got the Toshiba 2TB and it benches very well, beating the Samsung in 3 out of 6 scores.

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Which part is annoying? Not knowing which SSD you'll get?

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And what is max teperature when you run ATTO Disk Benchmark 3 or 4 times in a row? Have you compared the 4K speed? From what I know the Toshiba NVMe drives Dell used in last years Alienwares boiled to death. Because they run all too hot.

Vasudev and pressing like this.
  6. Dan289111924

Dan289111924 Newbie

Reputations:

Okay, I believe I have resolved my issues. I undervolted my CPU and managed to get to -0.140mV stable. I ran Cinebench R15 and managed to get a score of 877cb at a max CPU temp of 82C. I ran Realbench and got a combined score of just over 104,000 with a max temp of 91C.

I also resolved the issues of the GPU being underclocked when on battery. I didnt do anything in particular but I found that on battery you need to run something graphically intensive for about 5 minutes at the downclocked rate and then suddenly the fans start ramping up quite a bit and the boost clock goes to 1650Mhz and stays there with a temp of 72C.

The above was with the i5 8300H and the regular 1050. I am pretty impressed with these results.

pressing and Vasudev like this.
  7. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As stupid as it may sound, I wouldn't recommend any laptop of 2018 or 2017. There is no good one. I was hoping for the XPS15 may be decent enough for my high standards, but it isn't, and I made the mistake to wait 30 days and can't get a money back anymore. I was long happy with an Asus Zenbook, and it is in most parts better than the XPS, better chassis, better keyboard, no coil whine, you can regulate the fans, good latency, has S3, no c state bug. The only reason why I did not buy a new Zenbook Pro was, because I read, that the cooling isnt actually that good, but I guess it is still better than the XPS anyway. Seems also, that MS literally killed laptops from 2018 on. Because if no laptop has working S3 anymore but just modern standby, it is not usable anymore as a laptop, at least under Windows.

You have no idea, how good it feels to be in that other 1%.

Switched from SKH 500GB to a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, the differences are worlds.

WoW starts 2 times faster, loading times 3-4 times faster. This is mostly true for all games which use data blob files
    Decompressing archive files 10-20x times faster (installing programs, addons ect, because all are compressed). SKH write speed was like 100KB/s where Samsung can handle it with 1-2MB/s
    Opening large IDEs faster, working with large projects which has lots of folder and data structure way faster

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    splus and pressing like this.
  8. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you tried out the different workstation laptops like Thinkpad P52, HP ZBook G5 etc?

pressing likes this.
  9. raven0ne

raven0ne Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks to all. The problem was solved.

The Delock adapter simply didn't work:
    https://www.delock.de/produkte/S_63312/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en
    I was surprised, because it worked with XPS 9350. Therefore I didn't expect malfunction with Precision 5530.

I got i-tec USB-C Display Port Adapter and it works perfectly.
    https://i-tec.cz/en/produkt/c31dp-2/#pll_switcher

abujafar likes this.
  10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I'm glad you've noticed a difference. I've seen tons of game loading tests (even in WoW) and there is basically no difference between a SATA SSD and a NVMe. I do see the utility for working with large data files and video editing. For small files, optane is likely the answer due to its faster 4k random reads (which NVMe isn't much faster than SATA at). Sadly those drives are so expensive, and still not worth it if gaming is the priority.

Papusan, improwise and abujafar like this.