XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I have the 8750H/FHD/500Gb model and I got the Samsung PM981 NVMe ssd in mine. So there is a super tiny chance to get Samsung on the smaller drives as well

2. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No offence, but isn't it just easier to say that you, like the rest of us, really don't know who will get what drive? :)

3. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, I based my comment of userbenchmark.com statistics. You can look up the 9570 and it is a sum of a lot of data sent in, and you see for example all the RAM models used, also all SSD models. Toshiba and SKH are like 99%. Samsung seems to be just used, if Dell is out of stock for Toshiba and SKH for a few days, until they get a new delivery. So Samsung SSD is just a pick if they cant provide Toshiba or SKH in stock. So you have to be really really lucky to get one if you order in the right sweet spot window.

4. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Userbenchmark data may result from folks upgrading on their own. You can also find a few with "performance" RAM and eGPUs.

5. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Considering that I have only gotten Toshibas I kind of agree with you based on my own experiences, but I think it is important to not confuse what we think with what we know. And also there is nothing saying that Dell might not switch to mostly Samsungs any day. I guess it all comes down to prices and supply. And could be regional differences as well etc. I guess the important thing is probably that to most people, it really does not matter from a performance perspective.

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not so long ago, it seemed the majority of XPS laptops came with Samsung SSDs.

There are probably several reasons why Samsung was a leading supplier during the first generation of nvme technology.

These days, I suspect Dell's SSD selection is based principally on price and supply. From Dell's perspective, as nvme technology is maturing, SSD supplier is probably less critical for light-and-thin laptops.

From a customer's perspective, only a small percentage of users would notice a difference among nvme drives. And an ultra-thin laptop like the XPS has so many design compromises that uber-high performance CPUs, GPUs, RAM, SSDs, etc. may struggle to perform to spec.

7. seiyafan

seiyafan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone experience screen flicker issue? Is there a fix?

8. Sebbbbbb

Sebbbbbb Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I got the 9570 with i9/32Go/1To/FHD and I'm very happy with it!

The device is beautiful, very good build quality and keyboard, very nice screen, and very nicely surprised by the jack audio output!
    The biggest complaint I have actually is the webcam placement, really annoying.

I undervolted it to -0.130V using XTU and it has been stable for a few days. With this, I achieve a score of 1250-1280 on Cinebench multi-core, with a computer much quiter/colder - outside Cinebench of course.
    It did better when undervolted to -0.140 but was not stable under 3dmark or Fortnite.

It does never get loud on idle nor when multitasking, even quite heavily.
    It does get louder on sustained load.. even for "moderate" load, e.g. when dropbox is indexing & downloading 300k files.

I paired it with a Thunderbolt dock ( Caldigit mini dock dual hdmi - http://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-3/mini-dock-HDMI-DisplayPort/ ), which is connected to my wired network and 2 FHD screens.. I didn't run into any problems with that one and the network is perfectly fast and stable.

Generally, this computer is extremely snappy and it's a pleasure to use it. ( I had a dual-core U- series before so it's a day-and-night difference )

Regarding the i9 vs i7 debate, I believe i9 doesn't perform better than i7 on multitasked sustained load, but it surely does for single-core loads, and probably for light multi-core loads too.

PS: I have a Toshiba drive.

splus and pressing like this.
  9. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My experience overall has been a nightmare. Ordered the i9/32Gb ram/1TB Ssd with 4k display.

Webcam was faulty. In the middle of doing my master thesis.

11 days later after confirmation that my refund would be refunded, now no laptop and no money.
    And they got my 3000 euros.

Now having to resort to going to library to work on my master thesis! Crazy!

All of this after paying 3000 euros.

I was certain I would rebuy the system, but now considering other options.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

pressing likes this.
  10. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just contact them again, they should be able to fix it. Just curious though, why do you need a webcam for writing a master thesis...?