XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe its just the Swedish website once again that really s-u-c-k, there where no release notes to be found there. Do you have the URL for the full one?

2. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've had time to do some more benches on the Razer Blade 15 and compared to the XPS 9570 (i9). And damn, this unit is impressive when it comes to cooling and throttling. With some undervolting, running Prime95 never goes below 3,67 Ghz and then the CPU is around 70 degrees. And that's once the power throttling kicks in, which seem to happen much later than on the 9570. And running the XTU CPU stress test, the thing does not even power throttle. An it really isn't all that loud either, compared to my Alienware 17 R4 with a GTX1080, this is nothing (at least with no GPU load).

Now, there are of course other things that the 9570 does better, and this being the owners thread for the 9570, there are better places for that discussion, but just thought I should share some promised updates of the comparison.

custom90gt, Woodking, _sem_ and 2 others like this.
  3. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is very impressive!

4. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Especially considering that the chassis of the Razer, even with the 1070, is actually slightly smaller than the 9570. Suddenly the cooling of the 9570 does not seem that hot...or rather, it does. Gives you an idea at least of what is possible with proper cooling. If the Razer had had fingerprint scanner and proper key backlight....well. TB3 charging (or at least one cable charging) would have been nice also but wth a 1070, I can forgive that.

custom90gt likes this.
  5. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah. Look on 4K read/writes. Who is the ssd speed user is doing mostly, playing a game, surging the net, etc. Not the high sequential speed you rarely use (pushing big files - copying large files from one partition to the other etc).

7. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its right in the dell europes discreption for the bios.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

8. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I can also see the description for the new 1.3.1 BIOS is to "mitigate coil whine noise".
    How can that be done with software??

Anyone with some coil whine tried the new BIOS??
    I don't have any (coil whine) so can't tell...

9. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And a 2nd M.2 slot and built in SD card reader. Not too much to ask is it?!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  10. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't hate on brand x (like Dell), I dont care what brand a laptop is from, I am looking on the facts, and one fact is if you pay that much money on a laptop, it needs to be perfect, anything else is not acceptable. And especially not these problems. And I just can't stand false information spreading by people, who don't know better. It is ok to not know everything, and most Dell XPS buyers are mostly ordinary people, maybe designers or "content creators" who have no insight into IT and just don't know, their laptop has issues or is not running 100% perfect or even normal. If you don't know the best state, and never learned about it, you'll always think your current state is good or acceptable, even if it is maybe not and 300% worse than it could be.

Tested the latest bios 1.3.1 btw with the software try on "mitigate coil whine noise", it did nothing to my model, same coil whine all the time, same mechanic clicking (mice) noises and white noise all the time. I guess they tried to "play" with the CPU table, maybe tried to lower/raise the FSB, which might change the frequency of the coil whine. People should do benchmarks if this "mitigate coil whine noise" has any performance loss actually. Or even tried to undervolt maybe a little bit by default, just some power or frequency changes mostly. Would be interested if this changes the performance somehow or not.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Papusan likes this.