XPS 15 9560 random restarts

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Sephiroth0, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sephiroth0

Sephiroth0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have used Prime95 to check the CPU throttling. The temps went up to 92°C and the frequency dropped to 2.7 GHz - without restarting. It seems that the problem is really GPU related. Btw - I tried also with the nvidia GPU only and the same problem occured.
    I did a clean install of Windows - are there any special Dell specific drivers that could cause this issue when not installed?

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    How are you forcing the dGPU to run it?

Also if it's throttling the igpu due to temps you can try to undervolt it to see if that helps. I would recommend doing both the igpu, system, cpu, and cache to help cool things off.

3. Sephiroth0

Reputations:
    I've selected the 1050 in the nvidia control panel under preferred graphics processor.

Undervolting will help reducing the temps but I think this is not the root cause for the restarts. Stressing the CPU only didn't trigger the re-start.

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I thought you were able to trigger the restart with stressing the igpu and it heating up? Any clues in windows system logs?

5. Sephiroth0

Reputations:
    Yes, and afterwards I did the same test with the 1050 and it triggered a restart as well. There is no error in the logs indicating why the system restarted. The only error messages are from the restart itself saying that windows has been not properly shut down.

PS. Since heating up the CPU didn't trigger a restart I don't think that it is a temperature problem. As far as I know the CPU and GPU is in the same package.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  6. Sephiroth0

Reputations:
    I tried now to heat up the system by playing DOOM. I played about 20 min. without any restarts so I defnitively think it's not connected to the temperatures.

7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had some of these random restarts on my 9550 running M$ Edge for several months earlier this year.

- I removed Intel and nVidia drivers with DDU and then installed latest drivers from their respective sites (not the Dell drivers). That helped some.

- Some of the more recent builds of 1803 on Windoze 10 Pro are more stable so you might make sure you are updated

- M$ Edge is still a bit buggy. Google products are a bit buggy also. So there is only so much you can do I suppose.

The only issues I have now are when YouTube is in full screen; I must use the esc key to minimize

8. Sephiroth0

Reputations:
    I will try to remove the video drivers using DDU and install the latest again. But it seems to be a quite isolated issue - it occurs only when using Google maps. All other 3D HW accelerated applications are running fine.

EDIT: I just saw that BIOS 1.11 has been released. I will try with the new BIOS as well.

9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you run Google Maps in Chrome or Firefox?

If so, I would assume a bug in Google Maps or in Edge that you can only report.

10. Sephiroth0

Reputations:
    The problem occurs with Edge and Chrome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.