XPS 15 9560 random restarts

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Sephiroth0, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sephiroth0

Sephiroth0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

My XPS 15 9560 restarts randomly when using e.g. google maps in MS Edge or opening the task view. I have the feeling that it has something to do when the graphics cards are being used (hardware accelerated). I've updated to the latest BIOS 1.11.0 and video drivers (Intel and NVIDIA) but the issue still persists. Temperatures are looking fine so I don't think it's occuring due to overheating. Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

regards

2. Trader05

Trader05 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you using video drivers direct from Dell or Intel/Nvidia? I'd try the opposite from where you downloaded from to see if it makes a difference. Also try doing a memory test, possibly one of your modules is bad.

3. Sephiroth0

Reputations:
    I'm using the Dell drivers for the Intel graphics card and nvidia for the GTX 1050. Meanwhile I figured out that the Intel GPU is causing the restarts. I can trigger the restart by using google maps with satellite pictures and zooming in and out. When I disable the Intel GPU the notebook doesn't restarts anymore. When disabling the nvidia card and enabling the intel card I can trigger the restart. I will try to install the latest Intel GPU drivers.

4. Sephiroth0

Reputations:
    Okay, I've tried now all combinations and I can alway trigger the restart by zoomin in and out on google maps with satellite pictures. There is no blue screen (disabled restart when BSOD in the system settings) it restarts immediately without showing anything. Could it be a HW problem? Or can the restart be caused by the switch from the internal to the nvidia GPU?

5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What happens if you disable hardware acceleration in your browser?

6. Sephiroth0

Reputations:
    I cleared the event logs and used the Intel Power Gadget to check what happens. It seems when zooming in and out the package temp. goes up to 76°C and starts to throttle. After a few seconds the system restarts. Looking into the system logs I see the throttling warnings. Why does the system restart when throttling? Can any of the 9560 owners do the same test? Load e.g. Manhattan in google maps and zoom in and out for a while.

7. Sephiroth0

Reputations:
    additional info regarding HW acceleration: The resart occurs only when the satellite pictures are displayed in "high quality" (it looks like there is some 3D information behind). There seems also to be a low quality mode where the picture gets pixilated and needs to load first - then the issue does not occur.

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Are you running an undervolt on your igpu? Which igpu drivers are you using?

9. Sephiroth0

Reputations:
    I'm not undervolting anything and the driver version is 24.20.100.6229 (02.08.2018). As you can see above I tried also older versions from Dell and Intel.

10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Interesting. If it is indeed throttling and causing a restart you can try undervolting the igpu with throttle stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.