XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Tool Tucker

Tool Tucker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you actually manage to get this going?

Loads of reports of USB-C failing after updating Windows 10 to 2004 back in June 2020. Haven't seen anyone manage to fix it yet.

General advice is reboot with the device attached. See if that works.

2. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, I did in a way. First I bought a new enclosure as I think my old one was really failing. Second, I turned on 'pre load thunderbolt modules' in the bios. I dont remember enabling this setting, but since my motherboard is new, I am unsure of what my previous setting was.
    That seems to have done the trick, at least for my ssd and my hdd in usb-c. But now, it cant seem to read my usb-c card reader. Like you mentioned, I attach my drive before powering up, cause I noticed before that it would sometimes not detect when connected when already on. I havent done testing on the 'new' setup yet.
    My hypothesis is the same, there seems to be some undocumented bug with usb-c and Windows still; or maybe upgrade sneaked in a faulty driver and even if you install Dell's driver, maybe there are some registry entries that were not reset. One things for sure though, its not a hardware issue.

3. Jay Janarthanan

Jay Janarthanan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like you cant extend the warranty on XPS 15 9560 after Jan 20th which is 3yr with the laptop. Its a solid laptop, love to extend the warranty and give it to my kid when he goes to college which is next year. - Jay

4. randy_baton

randy_baton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi is there any way to see a history of dell updates? Mine did an update this morning and now the mouse and keyboard randomly stop working. They are wireless through the same dongle. trackpad and onboard keyboard are fine. I have to restart to get them back working.

It was a dell update rather than a windows one. I've checked windows update and there hasn't been one for a few days. The dell update screen shows it last updated at 9:30 this morning.

5. yewneek

yewneek Newbie

Reputations:
    Screen flicker then no adjustment available. Hardware fault. Cable failing.

I've had the flickering screen, and it's certainly mechanical. When the hinges moved it flickered. DImming wht F11 F12 keys worked, but then failed.

It's now on full brigtness, icons showing dimming up and down come up on-screen, but no actual dimming.

I tried rolling back drivers, reinstallation, cleaning with 99% IPA, reseating the push-connector inside on the mobo, nothing.

I've determined it's the cable that's worn out, mostly likely around the hinges.

Has anyone replaced the LVDS/screen cable? It's a 4k touch infinity-edge. Looks to be glued but I haven't tried to separate.

Cable is available it would appear, for £18, but the whole screen itself is £270.

Thoughts?

TIA

GB

6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    First try:

- The connector at the motherboard is super delicate. You can try removing the connector and reseating a few times (you need to use a JIS screwdriver not regular phillips to remove the silver metal cover plate). Use a magnifying glass to see if any pins are broken or bent. You can not touch any of the gold pins (bending and contamination). I had to reseat cable several times in 2016 before a wonky screen started working.

- Also, the cable is really bent sharply and crushed around the power and hinge area; maybe you can try to reroute carefully or modify housing to reduce bends and/or put some tape on it to prevent extreme bending? It needs some slack I think for the screen opening/closing. Check carefully that your hinge is not broken and shorting or straining the cable. You might even be able to flex the cable with the laptop operating and find the area of the cable that is suspect and reinforce that (be super careful as it will be easy to hurt yourself and/or your computer. Maybe do that with laptop unplugged. I had to fix a broken hinge with glue (epoxy).

Next, we see some hints on difficulty of replacing cable. Unfortunately our laptop engineer @GoNz0 said it is more involved

I don't recall anyone here changing the cable. The following video might help get you close. However, there is a comment that he broke the screen cover in this video so I'm not sure how that bottom cover comes off. Maybe check the PDF manual at dell.com.

7. Sigmaphied

Sigmaphied Newbie

Reputations:
    After updating to 2h20 build , my temps went and are unstable , the new NVidia driver too raised my temps 5-8 degrees and the most annoying thing of all is my fans are never off at 37c (quite option-Dell command ) even after reverting to 200 . the device was running fine pre update . (the most important thing is to get the fans to turn off back again )

CPU Core : -126.0
    CPU Cache : -126.0
    Intel GPU : -96.7
    Speedshift enabled via bios (ver : 1.18.0)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A few days after updating my 9550 fans stopped whirlling. Not sure why the update caused such heat but it stopped eventually. In the meantime:

-Adjust your speedshift EPP higher (try 79 or so to access full turbo speeds, where 255 is "lowest" performance)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

-Set Windows power options to Balanced

- Install Dell Command | Power Manager. Set thermal management to "quiet". This is easy adjustment of fan speed.

Vasudev and Sigmaphied like this.
  9. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just picked up a used 9560 off eBay when the hinges on my 9550 finally gave out. I'm having the same issue where unless I plug an adapter or flash drive into the USB-C port at boot up, the driver will connect and then disconnect. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the appropriate drivers and updating and rolling back, but the issue remains. The USB-A ports are a little touchy as well. It is fortunate that the SDXC card reader still works.

Since the line is already four years old I doubt Dell will fess up and provide a fix, but if any of you gurus come up with another idea, I would appreciate hearing it.