XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Toady

Toady Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answers!

@Philaphlous It's still strange that it suddenly changed. I tried the VRM-thermal pad-Case approach and it helped. Instead of 95°C, my VRMs are around 80°C now. I probably won't buy another DELL, which is sad since the build quality is great. The G14 looks interesting, I'll look into it.

@pressing Everything is clean and tight. Using Prime95@small, my CPU cores are 76/70/77/71°C (3,2GHz) and 82/76/83/76°C (3,4GHz). I did repaste a lot but couldn't bring the temps closer. I also reached the max. undervolt. Anything higher and my system crashes. Must have been unlucky in the silicon lottery.

I'm already using the Power Manager and I did play with the settings, but it didn't help with the VRMs. SpeedShift is set to 64. I couldn't find "processor energy performance preference policy", but I'll try it later.

I also figured out why Prime95 was having problems. While using MSI Afterbruner the CPU used ~10W more. Since the problem only occurred when using Prime95 I'll just ignore it.

pressing likes this.
  2. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just a heads up the thermal limit is pretty much maxed out with the laptop...I figured it was maybe the fans being blocked from the grille on the bottom of the case...nope... even with the bottom of the case off I still only managed 3-4C better in temps...Its actually quite surprising how little temps change when your under absolute ideal situations... on to the G14...hoping for a labor day sale.... I'm also hoping to eek out around ~10% boost in performance on that RTX2060 Max-Queue... that'd get me about 3.6-3.7x the performance of my GTX1050....lol my what 3 years does to tech....

3. YoungG

YoungG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    anybody having this weird error or similar one in the event viewer.

A corrected hardware error has occurred.
    Component: PCI Express Root Port
    Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
    Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x1
    Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
    Primary Device Name:pCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A111&SUBSYS_07BE1028&REV_F1
    Secondary Device Name:

running the latest win 10 2004. all BIOS and drivers up-to-date. It's not actually affecting performance or functionality, though, but it's annoying as hell.

4. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    my 4k screen broke and I'm having difficulty sourcing locally.
    Any leads where I can get the screen alassembly in the USA for a decent price? Any info would be appreciated.

Also, will the 1080p variant work with my 9560 or is the 4k screen 'hardwired' into the bios?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  6. SMorris

SMorris Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep - I'm getting the same....also on win 10 2004. I've been trying to track down the cause for the past couple of days as it is messing with my OCD.

I suspect it is some Intel graphics driver issue though I am unsure where to start. I tried reverting to latest Dell OEM driver (I usually install latest Intel one) but that didn't fix it, though I also noticed windows updated the driver automatically from the Dell OEM driver v26.20.100.8142 driver to an Intel v27.20.100.7990 after reboot. I had previously been on the latest Intel driver v27.20.100.8783.

7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Troubleshooting video on XPS 9560 posted today. Looks like reseating RAM or disconnecting CMOS battery was the fix.

We can see a lot of measured good voltage and resistance readings throughout the board in the video so this may be a helpful reference

trvelbug likes this.
  8. trvelbug

Reputations:
    when we use hdmi or tbolt with an external monitor, does the discrete gpu have a direct connection to them? if so, can I skip the igp by turning off the laptop lcd?

9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That was answered in the forums. I'm pretty sure the igpu is used but you can search to confirm.

trvelbug likes this.
  10. trvelbug

Reputations:
    planning to replace my killer wifi with the intel 9260. some questions tho:
    - do i need to uninstall the killer drivers before doing this (i have the intel drivers downloaded already)?
    - videos show some people putting black wire on black connector and others doing the reverse as per the killer card. does it matter which way i connect the wires or not?