XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Jonnybravo5

Jonnybravo5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks!

By enabling the speedshift on throttlestop, the changes will persist on the next boot?

Regarding the number 2, have you experienced problems with Bluetooth at all?

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This guide can help with SpeedShift.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

Dell did not enable SpeedShift in BIOS (unless they added the feature in a recent BIOS).

So ThrottleStop is the easiest way to enable SpeedShift IMHO; however, that will need to be re-enabled at each boot.
    In that thread, you will see some hacks to enable SpeedShift.

In the ThrottleStop thread, you will see steps to launch the software at each boot.

For the SpeedShift EPP, Windows seems to fight ThrottleStop. So you can enable the windows power options EPP drop down and match those with the EPP you type in ThrottleStop
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...trol-of-the-i7-8750h-advanced-version.823065/

3. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, I need to run TS again next bootup for speedstep to be active but you can automate this as pressing mentions.
    Re Bluetooth, I get weaker pairing than my phone, but it still pairs, just takes longer. That's the only issue I've noticed with my Bluetooth. And if iirc, it's also controlled by the killer WiFi card.

4. Jonnybravo5

Jonnybravo5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think I got everything to work, except the bluetooth, which I'm afraid is a hardware problem.

Basically, installed the 970 Evo Plus (1 TB), which is much faster than the older one. I also followed the tutorials to undervolt and optimize some of the Windows' settings using Throttlestop. Now I have the SpeedShift enabled on startup and good temps on this guy. Next thing to update is the battery that has an wear level of 75% :vbeek:

Thanks for your help!

thefiverivers likes this.
  5. thefiverivers

thefiverivers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just clean installed my 9560 and upgraded to a 970 Evo Plus from a 960 Pro. I missed using Gonzo's ISO tutorial but now is a moot point because it's a very straightforward process (thanks gonzo!). Also upgraded my wifi from the 9260 to the AX200 and increased ram to 32gb.

Everything running smoothly! Just need to redo my undervolt. EDIT: just realized 1.19.2 bios doesn't allow me to use xtu or throttle stop? Any ideas? Reset bios to factory settings? Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    search the forums as there is a thread on restoring undervolts

7. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Read a few pages back, had the same issue, and the solutions are there.

8. Toady

Toady Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone!

I'm having problems with the temperature of my VRMs, again.

My System
    i7-7700HQ // 4k UHD // 16 GB RAM // 512 GB Toshiba M.2 // Windows 10 Build 19041.450 // Intel Driver 27.20.100.8476// Nvidia Driver 451.67

My Problem
    Maybe 1 or 2 months ago my system suddenly started running hot again and throttled the CPU and GPU. After trying to figure out why I discovered that, thanks to plundervolt, the new BIOS update (1.19.2) removed the undervolting I had. Well, great. I updated all my drivers, downgraded the BIOS, etc. Nothing really helped. So after more research I found out how to re-enable the undervolt and bring my CPU and GPU temps down again (If anyone is still struggling with the fix, I can post/link to how I did it).
    BUT now under full load (CPU+GPU) my VRMs are getting into the mid 90°C (~200°F) and therefore power limit throttling the CPU. The rest of my system is stable at around 75°C (~165°F).

What I've tried to fix this
    Before the problem my temps were pretty much in check. Under full load, of both the CPU and GPU, I was getting:
    CPU: max. 80°C // GPU: max. 75°C // VRM: max. 75°C
    Back then I did the usual stuff:
    • Fresh Windows installation
    • Undervolted the CPU/Cache -100 mV and iGPU -70 mV (ThrottleStop)
    • "Overclocked" the GPU so it did run at max. 0.85 V at 1569 MHz (was enough for me and mostly kept the GPU below 70°C)
    • Did repaste the CPU/GPU with Arctic MX-4
    • Taped the gap between the fans and heatpipe fins (removed all the dust)
    • Lifted the laptop ~2cm (~0.78 inch)
    • Tried bridging the VRMs with thermal pads to the heatpipe (Didn't change anything, so I removed it again)
    What I did now:
    • Installed newest drivers -> everything still hot
    • Re-enabled my undervolt (again, thanks plundervolt...) -> CPU/GPU warmer than before, but some improvement
    • Overclocked the GPU again (Tried different voltages and 0.85 V - 0.90 V appear to be the best for me) -> GPU cool again
    • Re-taped the fans and heatpipe (almost no new dust, which was surprising) -> no change
    • Did repaste the CPU/GPU again with Arctic MX-4 and applied new thermal pads to the heatpipe around the GPU (Arctic 0.5 mm and 1.0 mm Thermal Pads) -> back to old temps
    • Tried the bridging again (no change)
    • Bridged the PCH to the case with thermal pads
    • Cooled laptop stand (no change)
    Current state
    Still, my VRMs appear to be 10-20° hotter than the rest of my system. See max. temps (CPU+GPU) in the image below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some synthetic loads:
    MSI Kombuster: GPU: 68°C // VRM: 82°C
    Cinebench: CPU: 75°C // VRM: 70°C
    Prime95 small@3.2GHz: CPU: 75°C // VRM: 77°C
    Aida64: CPU: 80°C // GPU 75°C // VRM: 87°C

I'm also having problems with Prime95. I can't run any FFT tests without exceeding the 45W limit and therefore getting power limit throttled. When I reduce the 4-core-boost to 3.2 GHz I'm just below 45W. Before my problem, I had no problems with Prime95 and power limit throttling at 3.4 GHz.

Yeah, so I'm running out of ideas. I do know that the overheating VRMs are nothing new, but the sudden change bewilders me. Especially the big difference in temperature. Maybe it's a software error? Maybe malware? I don't know. Currently I don't have the time to reinstall windows, but it can't be that simple.

So I'm thankful for any sort of input.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  9. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looks normal... unfortunately the cooling for the XPS15 is sub par... VRM cooling is non-existent and you need like 6mm of thermal pads to dissipate to the bottom of the case. In addition, the heatpipes and actual surface area of the cooler is too little to actually adequately dissipate the amount of heat combined for the GPU and CPU at the same time... Even with the bottom case off which I current have right now, my GPU/CPU WITH LIQUID METAL thermal paste still gets upto 77C when gaming... its just an unfortunate piece of the laptop... I'm getting an Asus G14 next. It's got 4x the CPU/GPU horsepower than the 9560....

Toady likes this.
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try these tweaks

Did you blow all the dust out of the radiators?

Good clamping force on the heatsink is important but a few people here have blown through the motherboard so best you can do is even firm torque on the screws.

Install Dell Command | Power Manager - set thermal management to cool.

In ThrottleStop, check SpeedShift. Set EPP to 0 for max performance and 255 for max power savings. About 78 permits max clocks but is not flat-out. SpeedShift is best CPU power control tool. You should also enable the Windows "processor energy performance preference policy" and make sure that is set to equivalent EPP (this is on a 0-100% scale); there is a thread on NBR showing how to do it.

Some people have had success with higher CPU cache undervolts on newer CPUs. You can try that.

It is possible you need to repaste. Even the professional techs here might repaste a couple of times to get optimal results. One clue of a suboptimal paste job is seeing large deltas in core temps under stress (range should be well below 5*c IMHO).

Toady likes this.