XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ... what?

2. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I mean you can enable a function where the battery only charges up to whatever percentage you choose. After that, the laptop runs completely on AC and does not use the battery. You can also choose a different system where the laptop only charges during specific times, and otherwise just runs of AC. If you meant whether the laptop also does this by default when fully charged, I do not know. I believe the laptop just continuously trickle charges to 100%, but I have never tested it.

3. RichSea

RichSea Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I am having a weird issue where the laptop won't reboot. only shut down. So I am unable to update anything that requires a restart. I have factory reset BIOS settings, and no luck.

Anyone experienced this or know a fix?

Thanks

4. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell Command Deploy WinPE Driver Pack
    This package contains the Dell Command Deploy WinPE driver pack. To see the list of drivers that are updated as part of the driver pack, go to https://Dell.com/command. Click Dell Command | Deploy, scroll through the list, and click the respective cab file for your system.
    Fixes & Enhancements
    - Updated release with new drivers.
    Version
    Version 1.0, A16
    Category
    Systems Management
    Release date
    23 Jan 2020
    Last Updated
    23 Jan 2020
    Importance
    Optional
    https://www.dell.com/support/Home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=JC0KJ

5. pedro estrela

pedro estrela Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi
    In my 9560 I see rare events (~2 per hour) where the whole laptop STOPs for whole seconds

On latest 0.18.0 BIOS I've matched this issue with hundreds of SMI triggered by the BIOS.
    I also see a 4 SMIs every time I change the brightness.
    Bios 0.16.0 is also affected

downgrading to BIOS 0.12.1 avoids the problem
    BIOS in-between I've not tested.

Do anybody seen this rare but show-stopping event for audio recording / DAW?

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/...auses-SECONDS-of-SMI-latency-not/td-p/7477967

[​IMG]

maffle and pressing like this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for demonstrating that IDLT @pedro estrela

I will run the IDLT on my 9550 for a while and post back if I see issues. I haven't for 15 minutes.

Using the F11 & F12 keys to adjust brightness also causes me big bumps in latency on IDLT charts. However, using the windows software slider to adjust brightness causes no excessive latency hits. I am on penultimate BIOS I think.

Dell revised BIOS several times relating to brightness on some XPS 15 models. If I remember correctly BIOS revisions:

- Reduced popping noise when using F11 & F12 to adjust brightness. Never fully resolved
    - Maybe reduced max brightness available
    - There was some color reproduction issues also (for photographers etc.)

FYI - I use the 9550 for live audio (piano VIs). It is not bad from a DPC latency perspective (it was bad during the first year or so). It does have a few pops and crackles per hour so is not perfect. The newest XPS has some real DPC issues.

Some ideas that might help slightly:

- nVidia drivers. You might get slightly better DPC latency results with a clean install of windows. The nVidia drivers are notorious. Maybe you don't bother to install them and just use the igpu or use O&O for barebones nVidia install (then prevent MS from auto installing/updating nVidia software.

- Undervolting GPU. Also, it seems undervolting the iGPU & iGPU unslice can adversely impact DPC Latency. Don't.

- Dell Command I Power manager. "Ultra Performance" might permit more aggressive fans and a bit more power consumption.

- Kill variable CPU speeds. This might make your laptop very hot so you need to use caution.
    --Disable SpeedStep in BIOS
    --Disable c-states in BIOS
    --That might lock out all turbo speeds. A work around is via ThrottleStop software, which can help lock mid-turbo clocks. I enable SST there and set EPP=0. And usually locks down clocks. You might not want speedshift running at all but a lot of laptop makers lock out turbos when c-states are disabled so this was the only trick I found to lock clocks near peak frequencies.

--You might need to shut down some cores in BIOS to reduce temps.

- A good repaste helps thermals a lot on these laptops. You can try undervolting the CPU but Kaby Lake units don't undervolt too much.

maffle likes this.
  7. pedro estrela

pedro estrela Newbie

Reputations:
    pressing likes this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    True.

The brightness topic is just one identified issue that seemingly can be bypassed by avoiding f11 and f12 buttons.

The nVidia driver issue is a bit more painful. The unidentified issues are most painful.

9. Vlatko

Vlatko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My 2.5 years old XPS 9560 just started having coil whine, few weeks ago. Coincidentally it started occuring when I tried to do some gaming on the laptop few weeks ago - never gamed on it before and don't think I ever will, thermal throttling galore. I gamed for a total of 5h at max during a 10 day period but it was not enjoyable at all - the fans were ramped up to overtime and after 30-45 mins the throttling kicked in. I was undervoleted as well with ThrottleStop and limited my turbo frequencies to 3.2 GHz. But here I am now, the whine which WAS NOT there before is constant now. I cleaned the fans and replaced the thermal paste 2 days ago. No go. All drivers are up to date from DELL, and Intel/nVidia respectively.

Update; coil whine kicks in when the fans kick in as soon as I connect my external monitor via USB-C cable - but I always used it with external monitor.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020 at 2:45 AM