XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just curious, do the XPS laptops have a proper power cord/battery logic, that if you have power cord connected 24/7, the battery is totally bypassed, or is it charged/discharged constantly in its upper 1-2% all the time?

2. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can enable a function that bypasses the battery, yes.

3. Sigmaphied

Sigmaphied Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm facing an issue with my 2 years old ( XPS 15 9560 4K - i7), it started happening 3 days ago .
    Whenever i start playing a game using my (GTX 1050) it produces a buzzing noise "not a coil whine"
    here's a preview

Any thoughts on the culprit or how to stop it ?

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No idea. Does it buzz when only on battery power or mains power or both? Does it buzz when using the nvidia card only? Do you have a failing HDD installed (only for units with the small 2.5" additional HDD)?

- Look carefully at the board around sound area for any physical damage, dislodged parts, oxidation (green, white, etc.) You need a loop and bright light as the parts are so small.

- Maybe the coil whine comes from the coils which are the big square silver boxes. You could try gently (!) touching that with a non-conductive rubber to see if that dampens the sound. Be extremely careful not to short out parts or dislodge delicate soldier. Also battery is very dangerous.

- Check battery health via software. Does the battery look in good condition with no swelling etc?

- Is the buzzing from that area? If so, that silver colored block with a black screw covers a cable jack for the screen. It could be loose and has odd installation. The black screw is JIS so you can't use a regular phillips tip or you will strip the screw. Be very careful with the cable underneath as the pins are extremely small and delicate; do not touch any of the contacts for bending or contamination! I would not remove the cable unless necessary.

- You might carefully check the surrounding cables are properly seated in that area. Be really careful with the battery cable as that can be dangerous.

- Check the surrounding screws are firmly installed.

EDIT - I also am thinking about one of the fans being dirty, dislodged, failing. You can lubricate the fans but generally when these cheapos start to fail there is no easy recovery. I did lubricate the fans of a macbook pro a few years ago with some silicone and that worked ok.

Sigmaphied likes this.
  5. Sigmaphied

Sigmaphied Newbie

Reputations:
    @pressing

-The buzzing stays on in both plugged and battery state.

-Battery wise i removed it yesterday cause the track-pad is really hard to click as its a bit swollen underneath . Although Dell's CPM indicates that ( battery health=◙ ◙ ◙ ○ |good| )
    https://i.ibb.co/0ySgF1W/image.png.

-I only have an SSD installed .

-Fans where a bit dusty i did my best cleaning them both without removing them .

-The attached preview of the noise was recorded with the fan unplugged .

-I double checked the screws .

-The noise starts when i use the GTX GPU only and it gets insane in Path of exile more than anything else ! .

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    pressing likes this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, swollen battery is a common problem. That means it is failing and needs to be replaced ASAP. Dell had a battery warranty on some XPS models but I don't know if yours would be covered for free. These batteries store a lot of energy and are dangerous when unstable.

I can't say much about the buzzing. There are not many GPUs failing on XPS models. I would guess the buzzing is from power conversion and filtering. If you don't see any damage to components/board and can't identify sound source with ears/by lightly pressing the coils with non-conductive rubber..that makes search tougher. Not convinced there is a DIY fix unfortunately.

Search the forum for location of the coils related to the dGPU.

These laptops are not good for gaming unfortunately. The thermal design is light and the power conversion is under-engineered. Part of this is due to very thin profile.

You could try reducing the GPU (and maybe CPU) power demands by reducing framerates etc. Maybe try running Windows Power options on balanced. Install Dell Command-Power Manager and run on cool. Also CPU & GPU undervolting, underclocking . . Doug Black has some good guides. There are some repasting guides here that might improve cooling a bit.

You might check BIOS and all drivers are upto date. Maybe use DDU and reinstall latest nVidia drivers. I don't see why these steps would help but who knows.

If you are still on warranty that is the best path.

7. Sigmaphied

Sigmaphied Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for the input !

8. Sigmaphied

Sigmaphied Newbie

Reputations:
    @pressing

Sorry to bother , I double checked and the buzzing sound is coming from HERE

is this the GPU ?

9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The CPU and GPU are under the black pipes (between the fans).

You have indicated the PCH. You can do some research on temperatures as that seems to have some overheating issues (using external screen, using dock, charging, etc.). Not sure if you have a heating issue from gaming but maybe you will find some tips searching for "9550 PCH". This get you started.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/9550-bios-1-5-1.810889/page-3

Sigmaphied likes this.
  10. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mind some of the power circuitry is slightly to the right of the PCH.

Sigmaphied likes this.