XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. TheFirst&Last

TheFirst&Last Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm having issues with a swelling battery. Has anybody been successful with having dell replace it? My 9560 is out of the initial 1 year warranty period but I purchased 4 years premium support and 4 years accidental damage service.

2. YoungG

YoungG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Once out of warranty, nothing you can do about it. Afraid you have to pay.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

3. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've read about a number of issues with swollen batteries for the XPS 9550, but I don't recall seeing many posts about swollen batteries for the XPS 9560.

If you have to replace the battery yourself, you may have trouble even buying one from Dell. The 97w battery for the XPS 9560 has been out of stock for months (at least).

If you buy a battery from a non-Dell source, be very careful to make sure that you are getting a genuine Dell battery. If the BIOS detects a non-genuine Dell battery, it is likely to keep putting up warning messages and/or not charge.

NewEgg has had genuine Dell batteries for the XPS 9560, but they are quite expensive (around $200). A few months ago, I bought one from a 3rd party seller at Walmart.com.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Genu...510-11-4V-97Wh-Battery-GPM03-0GPM03/228395044

It was around $160, but it does appear to be a genuine Dell battery, and everything works the way it is supposed to work.

4. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you check if these say anything about the battery? I understand not selling batteries is because selling more expensive warranty extensions.

5. TheFirst&Last

TheFirst&Last Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm waiting to hear back from them. This is a common issue that also plagued the 9550. If they had a battery warranty available at the time I purchased the 9560, I would have gladly purchased it. Dell knows this is a common problem and now offer a battery warranty in addition of premium support and accidental coverage on the new XPS models.

6. Uri Mevs

Uri Mevs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Change my battery last year after trackpad started popping up. Found it on Amazon for around $100. Also, easy to replace.

7. g_r_

g_r_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone!
    I own a Dell XPS 15 9560 and yesterday I updated the BIOS through Dell Update to version 1.16. Since then, I have to turn on the PC twice, because the first time it gets stuck on the Dell logo.
    I tried restoring BIOS settings (F2) and diagnostics (F12), but it only gives me an unrelated problem, it says it can't change screen brightness.
    I'm kinda worried, I need the laptop for work. Do you have any ideas?
    Thank you in advance.

8. dbarnettuk

dbarnettuk Newbie

Reputations:
    I've also had the 'stuck on Dell logo (without animation under it) at boot' issue a few times recently. It always seems to get past this with a power off/hard reset. I didn't twig that it might be BIOS update related, but I am also on BIOS 1.16. It's intermittent, and doesn't seem to have done this for the last few days...

9. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since updating the BIOS on my XPS15 9560, I have not had issues like the ones in the posts quoted above, but there is definitely something different going on in the BIOS loading process.

A few seconds after pressing the power button to turn the computer on, I get the Dell logo, as expected. When the Dell logo goes away, a second or two later, the Dell logo re-appears a second time. After that, the process of booting seems to precede as I would normally expect it to. With the Dell logo now showing up twice, the total boot time has increased by about 2 seconds, but, once the computer has finished booting, everything appears to work the way it should work.

I did try going back to the previous version of the BIOS, but, even after doing that, I still get the double appearance of the Dell logo during the boot process. So, there does appear to be something strange going on with BIOS version 1.16.

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Extremely drunk last night, I managed to fall asleep with a pint in my hand and dropped it onto the laptop. I have never sobered up so fast, turned it upside down, grabbed my tools and within 10 minutes had it stripped down and the keyboard off. Half a can of brake cleaner later on the keyboard and 10 minutes in the oven while I checked and cleaned up any beer (nothing went on the mainboard) I rebuilt it. Half 2 this morning it is up and working as good as ever.