XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Immediately after installing BIOS version 1.16.0, I saw that I had a problem.

The Event Viewer was filled with errors related to the Trusted Platform Module (TPM). Those errors were accumulating at a rate of dozens per minute. The error said something about there being a "non-recoverable failure" of the TPM. Further it said that, with the "non-recoverable failure" there would be security vulnerabilities, including problems with proper data encryption. Since one of the changes/fixes with 1.16.0 was related to the TPM, I have to assume that the new problem is related to the new BIOS.

So far, the only (temporary) fix that I've found is to re-start the computer. It appears that, when the computer is started and the BIOS is being loaded, there are times when the TPM is not getting loaded properly. A re-start does provide a temporary fix, but, after the computer has been shut down and started again a few times, the same errors will start to accumulate again.

The only two workarounds that I can think of at this time are either not to shut down the computer every night as I normally would or to check the Event Viewer each time I start the computer, and, if those TPM are accumulating, to do a re-start to get the TPM to properly load when the BIOS is loading.

I did try to roll back the BIOS to 1.15.0, but it appears that the changes that were made to the TPM with 1.16.0 don't get rolled back with the rest of the BIOS.

So, it may be the case that this issue will be present until Dell issues a new BIOS that fixes the problem.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be appreciate hearing them.

gr4z, Jff007 and pressing like this.
  2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    No issue here.

3. gr4z

gr4z Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yep, I have the same problem!

4. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    People would likely not even be aware of having this issue unless they are checking the Event Viewer. So, I'm confident in guessing that there are a lot of people with the issue who don't even know that it is happening.

I hope that Dell is aware of the issue.

5. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would appreciate if a couple of people could check something for me in the Windows settings and report back.

Navigate to Settings>Update and Security>Windows Security>Device Security>Security Processor.

Under status, what does it say?

Also, if you click on Security Processor Troubleshooting, what does it say under Error Messages?

Thanks

6. King_Khan

King_Khan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine says:

Attestation: Ready
    Storage: Ready

I don't have an error message

7. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks much for the reply. That will be helpful in my troubleshooting.

Also, are you on BIOS version 1.16.0, and have you had any instances of TPM errors in the event viewer?

I would appreciate if others could also check what it says in the your settings for the TPM.

8. King_Khan

King_Khan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My bios is 1.9.4

no TPM errors in the event viewer, although I do have BTUSB errors. I'm not too worried about those as I'm planning on replacing my wifi card in the future

9. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply.

Am I correct in saying that you are still running a BIOS from over a year ago, which would be the case with version 1.9.4?

I tried something that I hope might have resolved the TPM errors.

First, I went into the BIOS settings for the TPM, and I executed the "clear" option.

Then, I went into Windows settings for TPM, which had been showing error messages. I also executed the "clear" option there.

Clearing in both the BIOS and in Windows should, I think, allow the BIOS and Windows to re-set TPM and properly communicate with each other.

After doing this, the TPM error notifications in the Windows TPM settings did disappear, and Windows said that TPM attestation and storage were both "Ready".

Only time will tell if the TPM errors in the Event Viewer will return. For now, I'm knocking on wood that they won't return.

For anyone who wants to try doing what I did, you need to make sure that you heed the caution to back up your data before clearing the TPM. Because any encryption keys that had been stored will be deleted, there is the potential that data could be lost in the process of clearing. Therefore, you need to make sure that you have backed up your data.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2019 at 6:29 PM
  10. Amire24

Amire24 Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought a new 8 GB ram and tried it but still have the same 2 orange and 4 lights flicker. I assume its the motherboard and probably won't replace it. Any suggestions on what I should do?