XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. paulomario77

paulomario77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    An update on this matter. A few days ago I decided - after a year of owning this notebook - to clean it. Opening up and removing the fans, there was a lot of dust both on the fan blades and on the fins of the heatsink. I cleaned everything and, back on YT, the difference was pretty obvious: videos lagged/stuttered much less often. I find it's strange because I had used HWInfo to monitor CPU and GPU clocks and there were no signs of thermal throttle even BEFORE I had cleaned the notebook from inside.

Then, yesterday, I thought "how stupid I am to not having done this before": I realized that, using the NVIDIA control panel, I could force specific programs to use the discrete GPU instead of the Intel one. Allocating the 1050 to Chrome, the result was night and day difference. With the Intel GPU, watching YT resulted in 100% CPU utilization, whereas with 1050 it barely reached 35%. However, there's still some stuttering with 4K videos, but I'm pretty sure it's because my Internet connection (theoretically 60Mbps) is not keeping up.

2. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Had the 56whr battery version with a 250 gb SSD. What is the easiest way to get more space?

I believe the 56whr battery model has the option to fit a 7" SSD but is it just an easy install or do I need anything for this setup?

3. JoelK

JoelK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    you have 2 options:
    1. Install a 2.5" SSD (Recommend Samsung 860 Evo) - for storage
    2. Change your m.2 SSD to a 1TB stick (requires reinstalling windows, but strongly recommend this)

Since you're looking for the easiest way, i reckon you go for option 1 - open bottom cover to ensure that the space beside the 56wh battery is empty (there should be sata connection there), then after confirming that, go ahead and order an SSD, install it there and start windows

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. I will open it up and check. Yeah getting the 2.5" SSD seems like the easiest route to take.

I did see some mention stating that the 2.5" SSD slot was limited to 150mb/s. Is that true?

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some people claimed the HDD bay could be speed limited but I never saw any data confirming that. The nvme bay should be fastest although that is overkill for many of us.

Did your laptop come with a HDD? If not, open your laptop to check that there is a connector in the 2.5" drive bay. Those cables were impossible to source from Dell previously; some other sources emerged but the cables were not so cheap.

6. ja14000

ja14000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine definitely isn't. I've got an MX500 in mine and I'm getting the advertised read / write speeds. Mine is also the 32GB+1TB configuration. My guess would be that this is also true for the other configurations of the 9560.

Alias and pressing like this.
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The MX500 runs at SATA3 speeds (e.g. up to 6GB/s)

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-ssd-mx500

ja14000 and Vasudev like this.
  8. davidmagony

davidmagony Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Everyone,

I would like to ask two questions. The first one being what BIOS boot times do you all get and what BIOS settings do you use to get the best boot times? (Mine is 10.7-10.8seconds) The second one is which BIOS version would you recommend?

I recently changed my SSD to a Samsung 970 PRO and I was really sad when I realized that it didn't help that much when it comes to the boot times. Right now my system boots in about 25 seconds which is kind of heartbreaking because my 4 years old custom PC boots in about 10 seconds or less and that only uses a SATA SSD.

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    NVMe has high initialisation time considering its a PCIe based drive to leverage multiple lanes for increased data throughput and speeds. But, that slight delay is made up thanks to high R/W speeds.
    Indeed my PC with HDD kicks my current AW's ass with NVMe by booting in 10 secs. But, I took a sweet revenge and installed SATA M.2 drive with Linux on my Alienware and now it boots under 5 secs beating my old PC with HDD. Hahaa.. You can't beat me twice!!!

10. davidmagony

davidmagony Newbie

Reputations:
    Ohh, so what you are saying is I might be better off by installing my OS on a SATA drive rather than an NVMe one? Sadly my XPS config is the one with the bigger battery so I don't have the space for a 2,5" drive and I'm afraid even if I were to order a smaller battery from dell with the drive cage my config doesn't have the proper connections to wire up the drive... :( In my case Custom PC wins 1:0 against my XPS

Vasudev likes this.