XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. knekker

knekker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently noticed my 9560 laptop is struggling as well when it comes to viewing youtube videos etc, and I can see that the CPU has started running only on 28% capacity. I think it's due to recent windows/dell bios updates.

*EDIT* I rolled back to an older bios and that did not change anything, boo.
    I wonder what else it can be the cause of it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sounds like an intel graphic driver issue to me. Perhaps try reinstalling your igpu drivers.

3. knekker

Reputations:
    Really? the GPU drivers can cause the CPU to throttle? how strange, thank you for your suggestion custom90gt, I'll give that a try when I get back home from work tonight!

4. zdoe

zdoe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    for the last two weeks or so, my CPU has stopped clocking up to anything hi-powered, it stops at 1.9GHz (as reported by core temp). on boot sequence i saw it once hitting 2.8GHz, but can't get it to clock up subsequently even if i throw at it a tasks that should max it out.

this is NOT thermal throttling, the temps are at comfortable level. and the computer used to behave normally when it was first set up.

yes, it's undervolted with throttlestop. anybody else see similar? pointers?

5. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Go through the thread (See Below) and see what you can hopefully find with your issue, as it may not be the exact model yet similar issues could possibly have similar fixes.

Check out member ThrottleStop response on page 101.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ftware-problems.784691/page-101#post-10278521

Look at members Schmoo2k response on the top of page 176 which sounds like a similar issue.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ardware-and-software-problems.784691/page-176

Good Luck!

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ist-of-hardware-and-software-problems.784691/

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    zdoe likes this.
  6. knekker

Reputations:
    Thanks to SDeP58, I found the solution to my problem with the cpu utilizing only 28%, it was because my clock speed was throttled to 800GHz (0.78).
    It might be worth giving this a try for your case as well.

https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...PS-9550-CPU-Multiplier-Stuck-at-8/m-p/4740654

You can quickly check to see if it's thats the issue by running your laptop in windows safe mode, that makes my cpu run at full clock speed again. However it seems that dell xps 9560 is not set to allow you to run safe mode right away. You will have to enable it first by running command prompt in admin mode and then write the following "bcdedit /set bootmenupolicy legacy", then restart your laptop and spam the "F8" button on startup.

Anyway, in order to fix the throttling issue, you basically just have to unscrew your laptop backplate and unplug your battery, then hold down the power button for 30 seconds to make sure that your laptop is drained from any power. That should remove the throttle.
    It took me a bit to confirm this solution my self as I am abroad and therefore did not have the appropriate screwdrivers to do the quick unplugging way. So I had to spend some time to let it fully drain my battery the manual way, this is also a good solution if you don't feel like taking your laptop a part. Just make sure that once your laptop shuts down, keep turning it back on, until it completely stops turning on, and then hold the power button for 20 seconds just to make sure that the battery is completely drained.
    Now the only thing you have to do is plug back the power cable and the computer, and violla! the laptop no longer throttles!

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  7. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you open msconfig, click on "boot", and, then, check "safe boot", doesn't that enable the laptop to boot in safe mode?

8. knekker

Reputations:
    I have never tried that, but it sounds like an easier alternative.

9. zdoe

zdoe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    well. now it did clock up to 3.xGHz once when using lightroom. but i can't recreate the situation, most of the time it doesn't.

either i don't understand the threads @SDeP58 links to, or matters discussed there don't seem to apply to my situation. my c7 state usage hovers ~90%, not 99% like @unclewebb , the throttlestop author's. but that has more to do with saving power than the clock issue i'm experiencing.

haven't yet tried the battery unplug solution suggested by @knekker . and in my case it's not stuck on 0.8, but never clocks beyond 1.9GHz. (i got i7 7700-HQ that should do 2.8GHz, and more with turbo boost.)

how do you guys measure the clock speed when in safe mode? neither core temp or throttlestop loads in safe mode.

10. knekker

Reputations:
    press "ctrl+shift+esc" and choose the "Performance" tab, in there you have the stats you are looking for.

zdoe likes this.