XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. NYalex

NYalex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i'm just in pursuit of speed, however small the gains are for the money.

honestly, almost no one needs an i7 7700hq or an nvme drive. a quad core i5 is more than enough along with a sata ssd.

but who cares?

i just want to get the most of out my xps, money be damned.

i will be repasting with kryonaut and then adding thermal pads into the VRMs and on the heatsink where the cpu and gpu are.

already undervolted the cpu to -0.120mv, i gain about 5-7 degrees compared to stock. but the key thing was maintaining longer period of boost.

after about an hour of prime95, the cpu consistently stayed at a multiplier of 32 vs 27-28 on stock voltage. it would do x 34 for short periods.

temp wasn't very dramatic, only about 5 degrees cooler. hopefully repasting and adding some thermal pads in the VRMs will help.

it sux that every laptop i've had in the past 5 years i had to repaste the damn TIM. i have yet to see a good application of thermal paste in any of the laptops i've owned so far.

2. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Problem is, the XPS is expensive but you pay for the looks; some of those christmas tree monsters with the same chips may actually perform better because they have some more heatpipes and fins inside, and they are less sensitive to bad paste (though all use the same print method in production).

Careful with the pads on the heatsink. It has been shown by many that quality pads on the VRMs alone can send too much heat to the backplate so that things get worse in the long run. The heatpipes and fins with good paste actually do take enough heat away from the two (no direct throttling reported by many), it is mainly the VRM heat causing power limit throttling.

- iunlock's mod seems to be the best method to date, by adding extra "fin surface" above the VRMs and redirecting some cooling air over there - but is kinda involved and partly non-reversible. It may not be the only and the simplest possible solution so you can consider different variants, but mind that iunlock obviously did try quite a few simpler things.

- 3 layers of Arctic 1.5mm pads on the VRM mosfets is an easy option that works to most (with undervolting both + repasting + disabling CPU turbo and limiting quality settings for games)

- recently there is another relatively simple idea with a thin pad sheet (.5mm) "bridge" from the mosfets to the heatsink above the CPU&GPU but not touching the backplate - but serious tests of this haven't been reported. Mind a copper "bridge" might transfer heat better, but might also cause shorts if not isolated and fixed properly.

3. NYalex

Reputations:
    very good points, thank you.

i'll report back with results when i finally get it done over the weekend

4. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi all,

What's the most current best advice for a clean install of Win 10 on my Dell XPS 9560?

I've never done this before and am afraid of bricking my machine or not having the right drivers loaded on a USB. I can't just do this with the factory image on the computer by using Windows Reset function?

Is this a perfectly good walk through if you don't recommend the Windows Reset function? https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5qe3oh/how_to_fresh_install_on_xps_15_9560/

Any particular things, issues, or novice errors to look out for when doing this?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  5. NYalex

Reputations:
    just follow the instruction on the link you provided, that is the proper way to do it

6. NYalex

Reputations:
    not like anyone is going to care, but for the few that do:

updates:

XPS 15 9560

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/VqG6UAL

1) To answer my previous question, DDR4 2666mhz is supported on bios 1.9.4. i'm using kingston hyperx 2 x 8gb ddr4 2666mhz cas latency 15.
    as you can see on the pictures, bios displays correct speed of ram, also cpu-z displays correct speed @ 2666mhz.

2) Swapped stock Killer 1535 wifi card for a Intel 9260. Night and day difference, no more random drops, connects instantly when waking up the laptop. Very satisfied with the $30 i spent on it.

3) I cleaned and repasted both cpu and gpu thermal paste with kryonaut.

4) undervolted cpu (i7-7700hq) by -0.120mv.

5) MSI afterburner to create a custom voltage curve for the gtx 1050. currently @ 0.95 volts @ 1700`1784 depending on how hot it gets. does throttle down to 1700 after a long gaming session.

6) added thermal pads to some of the VRMs as seen in the pictures.

7) #3 to #6 = cpu stays around 75 degrees after 1 hour of prime, multiplier goes from 30`38. Definitelly some throttling still, but as you know prime95 punishes the heck out of the cpu. GPU fared a lot better, it stays under 70 after 1 hour of unigine heaven.

8) installed a white carbon fiber dbrand skin. The key to perfecting this is PATIENCE, which i don't have. you can see the results of little patience, it doesn't quite aling on the bottom panel. but i don't care, i just want to protect my laptop from scratches. it looks good enough for me.

I think i might repaste the cpu + gpu again, i only applied ever so little.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    donalec and Skylake_ like this.
  7. vas

vas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New BIOS for XPS15 9560

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=TPFJN
    https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER05073643M/1/XPS_15_9560_1.10.1.exe

Fixes:
    1. Updated Intel ME Firmware to address security advisories INTEL-SA-00112 (CVE-2018-3628 CVE-2018-3629 CVE-2018-3632 ) & INTEL-SA-00118(CVE-2018-3627)
    2. Updated CPU microcode to address security advisory Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00115 (CVE-2018-3639 & CVE-2018-3640)
    3. Fixed the TPM configuration on a TPM startup error during S3 resume

Enhancement:
    1. Added TPM PPI Bypass for Clear Command support
    2. Addressed PCIe compatibility
    3. Improved BIOS Recovery experience
    4. Improved startup stability when the RTC battery voltage is low

8. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Justr so you know:

- You didn't pad the VRMs correctly, you might want to double check the guides to see what you need to pad.
    - You shouldn't pad the heatsinks to the back panel, you are superheating the panel which draws in hotter air. Combined with a VRM pad to the backpanel, you are superheating all your components.
    - General consesus these days is that you shouldn't pad the VRMS to the back panel, but straight to the heatsink. It heats up the CPU and GPU a bit, but it helps the VRM stay cooler without overheating the back panel and the incoming air.
    - What settings did you select with Prime95? A 38x multiplier indicates a single-core workload (when all 4 cores are loaded, the max multiplier is 34x). You shouldn't get any single-core workloads when stresstesting with Prime95.

9. NYalex

Reputations:
    yeah, pads were removed from heatsink completelly. however pads on vrm's are fine as they were. not plannning on padding to heatsink, i'll leave as is for now since removing pads from heatsink actually got temps were i want them to be.

prime95 = small sff for max heat
    stopped using intel xtu, too limited. instead opted for throttlestop. currently undervolted -120mv on core and -50mv on igpu.

i ran some more benchmarks, this time with hwinfo64. you are correct, the multiplier stays around 30-34 after 1 hour of prime95. not sure why xtu showed me 38 before.

cpu temps after 1 hour prime95 = around 70 with a max of 77. i'm happy with this since with real world usage it means i'll never get over 70.

Playing overwatch for 1 hour = small instances of gpu throttling, based on the log file created by gpu-z. it seems after about 30 mins of constant playing, the gpu hits up to 75. now i thought the gpu would throttle when over 78, but it seems to dial back a bit when it gets over 70.

not very noticeable in game, it's still butter smooth and can definitelly play at a competitive level.

and that pretty much wraps it up for me, no more mods planned for this laptop.

i just wish manufacturers would start doing a better job at thermal pasting. i still have a lenovo s510 cheapo laptop that came with factory paste that is perfectly fine even today. Granted it's just powering a 6200u + 940mx, but in 3 years this laptop has never ever throttled on me.

10. duevvu

duevvu Notebook Consultant

Reputations: