XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. John Manuel Costas

John Manuel Costas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just an update on a scratch and dent I got. Scratch is literally a real thin scratch on the outside top that you would only see if you tried to look. So win on that! Otherwise going very well, only issue is some very minor backlight bleed on the 4k dispkay. It's on the bottom and very slight. I think since I did decent so far in the lottery with this I may just roll with it. Has anyone ever complained to dell and got some cash back? Thanks for the input, enjoying so far, but will put it through the motions in the coming week.

2. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had a very minor dent / scratch in the carbon fibre deck. You honestly can't see it unless light shines on it from a very specific angle. Still, I made a couple of photo's and sent them to Dell. Got a 10% cashback for it. It was the Dutch Dell support though, so YMMV.

3. John Manuel Costas

John Manuel Costas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I actually bought a "scratch and dent" refurb. So its expected, was so minor tho would do it again to save the extra 100$

4. NYalex

NYalex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys, finally scored me xps 15 9560 refurb from dell outlet deals.

Question, does this laptop support 2666 sodimms?

i know it comes with 2400 from factory,mine only has 8gb. i think i'm either goign for 12gb and keep it 2400 or get 2 x 8gb 2666 if supported

5. [sito_web]

[sito_web] Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No it doesn't. You can use the 2666 either 2800 sodimms but they will run at 2400.

6. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sure? I think it may depend on the specific model and latencies (autonegotiation, nothing manual to set). I recall even the 9550 worked with certain g.skill 2666 ram at 2666. Check Userbenchmark results with better RAM scores.
    http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/4800163
    http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/2923661
    http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3896170
    But I think there are better ways of spending $$ than for "performance" ram. The real-life advantage is less than a percent except in very specific benchmarks and tasks.

7. [sito_web]

Reputations:
    I think it depends by the CPU you have. According to this the i7-7700HQ (the top cpu in the configurator) can manage DDR3 at 2133 and DDR4 at 2400

8. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I guess these are official numbers while the actual ones may sometimes be higher. Also, faster ram may be able to run at a lower clock with a lower CAS latency for a better performance (you actually don't gain so much by speeding up the clock but having to increase the latency because the response time of the ram is actually the same). And there are also a few other latencies. Once upon a time we could set the clocks and latencies in BIOS manually, and then run memtest and a few others for a few hours to see what max settings still result in reliable performance. In XPS BIOS these parameters are not accessible, they are set automatically and you can just observe what was applied with CPU-Z or such. Some folks have reported certain brands of 2666 DDR4 in both i7 9550 and 9560 run at 2666, while others would revert to 2400. I don't recall anyone report 2800 ram to run at 2800 or 2666.
    But as already said the overall performance gain tends to be small except in very specific tasks. With XPS, it pays off *MUCH* more to spend the time and $$ tweaking the cooling.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. [sito_web]

Reputations:
    Interesting, thank you!

10. NYalex

NYalex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    well, i didn't buy the xps 15 for bang for the buck, there are much better choices than the xps line if i wanted a 7700hq + gtx 1050. Build quality was a top priority along with not looking like a spaceship for a 9 year old.

if i'm going to buy ram for this, i might as well pay a little extra to get the fastest possible ram. i just need to make sure the motherboard supports speeds higher than 2400mhz before i buy it.

otherwise i'm going to hunt for low cas latency 2400mhz sticks, perhaps cas 15 will do.