XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The difference between the 7700HQ and the 8750H is like 25% in the case of Premiere Pro. Yes it would've been an upgrade, but it's not going to be an earth shattering upgrade (unless you are exporting really long videos). The GPU helps with the encoding a fair bit. Depending on what kind of footage you are using, you may not even have to resort to proxy files (I mean, you are not going to be editing native RED files on this laptop regardless of which version you choose). 1080p files edit easily, and even 4K editing works fairly well, though it might bog down a bit when adding a ton of effects.

Honestly, for half the price, I think the 9560 is a better deal. Especially if you do not plan to work solely on the laptop.

2. John Manuel Costas

John Manuel Costas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the fast feedback. I was debating if the warranty is worth it, but i figure this is a nice 2 year solution to my mobile computing, so getting that easier coverage seems OK. heres to hoping this is one of those barely noticeable scratch and dents tho lol.

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    Hah I say go for the 9560 as well. If it was your main computer I would spring for the 9570, but since it's your away computer the 9560 will work great.

I have had a ton of outlet laptops and I've only had a scratch or dent on 2 of them (out of 20+).

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some (but not all) of the outlet 9560 units are very cheap now PLUS 17% coupon off that price (there is a coupon on the same US outlet site). This is the screaming deal for most people.

For the 9570 I think Intel did a decent refresh considering this is an older CPU; 2 extra cores, improved performance, and improved undervolting. But I don't think the cooling capacity and power output in the 9570 has increased radically, so real-world performance increase will not be staggering for most people. It also has minor GPU upgrade. For the few that "need" the extra cores and ARE SURE they can prevent throttling, or for those who need the extra x4 lanes with TB, this may be the better performance choice.

5. John Manuel Costas

John Manuel Costas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I guess I'm going to give it a go. Dell shipped that thing out in like 2 hours.

6. pascaladjaero

pascaladjaero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh wow, now that's a shock lol
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7. pascaladjaero

pascaladjaero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A good shock
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8. japanworm

japanworm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a hard time deciding between the Dell XPS (9560, FHD) and the Thinkpad T580 (UHD).
    Both have great displays, nice fingerprint readers etc.
    I do have both models in front of me at the moment.

I'm just worried about the long-time performance of the Dell. I've read so many horror stories about it online.

How often did you have to send your model in for repairs?
    How long did it last?

Personally I just trust Lenovo (at least the Thinkpad T-series) more.
    My Thinkpad T510 has lasted for 8 years and it's still running okay. :)

9. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've owned 3 XPS laptops in recent years.

The first was a Studio XPS with the first generation Core i7 quad core processor. I bought that laptop in 2009. There were no glitches or issues with the laptop, and I still use it today, 9 years later without any issues whatever.

A couple of years ago, I bought an XPS 1550. I used it with no issues whatever until I fried the mother board by dropping a cup of coffee on the keyboard.

I've now had my XPS 1560 for 7 or 8 months. It has also operated flawlessly since the day I got it.

I should point out, though, that I avoid making rash hardware changes, and I'm very cautious about installing questionable software, drivers, etc.

10. Athonline

Athonline Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The moment that Dell replaces you screen again, but now the touch screen is not working and tech support said that they escalated my case to their "legal team".

Vasudev likes this.