]]>

XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. danielwerner

danielwerner Newbie

Reputations:
    Thinking of buying a 9560 (or 9570 if it's released any time soon). How is the screen? Is it at all comparable to the Macbook Pro?

I've heard negative things about gaming on it. Like response times being awful etc. What are your thoughts? Thanks. :)

2. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Eh... a big plus with it is the brightness. I think its around 400nits so it's pretty bright. No issues using it during the day/sunlight. Colors are pretty good but there's a decent amount of ghosting... Although you can use CRU and overclock the monitor to 65Hz refresh rate...that helps a little... that's what mine has been at for the past 6+ months with no issue. It's pretty nice for gaming too I might add... but I'd love a 4k screen...I've heard some people don't like it, like the last 2 posts ago....

3. Don16

Don16 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Philaphlous can i please ask about the overclocking monitor to 65Hz refresh rate? Does it help a little with ghosting? Could you pls share with us how did you manage to make your screen running on 65HZ please. Thank you.

4. bay12

bay12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've done it last night...google CRU monitor overclock and you'll find a forum with all the instructions...it's very easy!

@Philaphlous the only thing at the moment i can't do it is to fix the 65hz resolution, at every windows reboot it goes back to 60hz and need to manually raise to 65hz. Is the same for you, or am i missing something?

5. Don16

Reputations:
    i found this article about it, not sure if its worth taking a time

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/66dhvd/dealing_with_xps_15_9560_display_response_time/

Some panels can be overclocked, ie, make them refresh the screen more times per second than theyre strictly meant to. This won't help you though as now youre simply adding more frames to blur through.

Another form of overclocking/driving is where you provide higher voltages and frequencies to the panel, causing the pixels to change brightness faster, however this also likely causes other negatives such as glows around high contrast areas and other visual faults you wont like.

Playing a 30 fps video simply will not help. Your panel updates at a fixed 60fps, when you play back 30 fps video, its just sending the same image twice in a row, yes this causes another screen update, but its updating from one identical image to another identical image, so nothing happens. All you'll do is take a fluid and blurry image and turn it into a stuttering and blurry image.

Long story short, there is simply nothing worthwhile you can do to reduce the motion blur of this screen. It is what it is. Yes its blurrier than many screens, but on the flip side, theyre pretty good screens otherwise.

6. Don16

Reputations:
    Isnt it just placebo?

Edit: So I tried to do 65Hz on my 4k screen but the screen went black :(

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  7. duevvu

duevvu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi to all.
    There is a way to change or remove the F9 button function?
    Usually I use Cinema 4D and when I press the F9 button, Cortana start and I can't use the button for the use that I need with the software.
    Thanks

8. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You are not using the F keys then, but you are using FN + F9. By default, the XPS is set to automatically press the FN for the alternate functions of the F keys (brightness, volume, etc.). You can switch to the normal functions of the F keys by pressing FN + ESC.

9. duevvu

duevvu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    really really thanks, Cool tip.

10. Davka

Davka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also it can be set in BIOS.