XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. vas

vas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Its worth to buy it in following config:
    UHD touch screen
    i7-7700hq
    16GB (or more) ram

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I still think it's a good purchase regardless of the config.

3. tachlio

tachlio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I found the solution via https://www.dell.com/community/General/Dell-XPS-9550-CPU-Multiplier-Stuck-at-8/m-p/4740654
    Kind of CMOS reset... WTH...

GoNz0, pressing and custom90gt like this.
  4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
  5. bay12

bay12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, i have agreed with dell to return my almost 1year old xps 15 9560 FHD (which has a series of problems) and i've bought the 4k version for almost the same price.
    I love the 4k model screen but i'm still too used to the FHD screen.
    Anyway my only concern is: the new 4k has a battery wear level of 8% while my 1year old FHD has a wear level of 2% (i rarely use it on battery though).

Shall i open the 2 laptops and swap the batteries (bringing the old battery with 2% wear in the 4k) or shall i leave the batteries as they are?

i know it make more sense to leave the 8% worn battery in the 4k as probably is newer...but has still 8% wear!

suggestions??

thanks!

6. paulomario77

paulomario77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The battery wear level indication is very unreliable. My 9560 4K is less than 2 months old, I never really used it on battery, and it also reports 8% wear. However, I changeg BIOS settings and the battery charging threshold I'm using is 65% ~ 75%, since my use is 100% on AC power. I don't know if, in my case, the 8% wear indication is due to this custom charging threshold.

bay12 and pressing like this.
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would take new battery. With the rapid evolution of battery tech, may have tweaked chemistry, updated firmware, better hardware.

bay12 likes this.
  8. htrex

htrex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To see the current wear level of the battery you need to calibrate it. If you've never calibrated the battery, the reported wear level it's still the factory calibration, when the battery was new.

To calibrate the battery you need to discharge it until the laptop shutdown, then restart still unplugged, go to the BIOS and let it deplete the last 4 or 5% of remaining charge until it turns itself off with 0% charge. Then charge the battery up to 100%. I would be surprised if an year old battery wear level wouldn't go down at least 10%-12%.
    Deep discharging Li-Ion batteries isn't good for their health, don't do it regularly.

9. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Currently, there are some very attractive prices available from Dell on the XPS 15 9560.

While Dell's website prices change just about every day, right now, the website price for a fully loaded XPS 15 with the i7-7700hq processor, 32 GB of RAM, a TB SSD, the 4k screen,and Windows 10 Pro is under $2100.

And a more modestly but still nicely equipped XPS 15 with the i7-7700hq processor, 16 GB of RAM, a 500 GB SSD, the FHD screen, and Windows 10 Home is on the website at around $1250.

But my experience with Dell has been that, if I start by pricing a computer on the website and applying all coupons and, then, if I call and talk with a salesperson, I can usually get a further discount in the range of $150-200.

Thus, it looks like you could buy the fully loaded XPS 15 for around $1900 and the one with more modest specs for around $1100. In either case, I think you would be getting a very nice computer for the price, and I'm confident in guessing that, when the XPS 9570 becomes available, it will be a while before the same level of discounting is available as that currently available for the 9560.

10. paulomario77

paulomario77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just received my second TB16 dock, the first one I bought is at the office, this one was for home. Fired up the config interface for my router to create a DHCP server lease for the new dock Ethernet interface. Found out that both docks have the same Ethernet MAC address! WTF? Won't be able to use both docks on the same network, unless I can change the MAC of one of them. Shouldn't the MAC address be unique?