XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does it all the time using the TB16

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This is usually Windows Hello ****ing up, remove and re-register fingerprint.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017
  2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Welcome to the microshaft precision touchpad, drivers are controlled by Microsoft.

Shame you didn't look at the trackpad settings.

Start > coggy thing (settings) > devices > touchpad > uncheck "Tap with a single finger to single-click"

And you idiot, fancy calling Dell for help!
    So they ****ed you over with an outdated ISO, this is why I made my own back then as I baked in the Intel drivers to skip the F6 crap.

You should find that the current ISO direct from Microsoft no longer needs any F6 nonsense but if you can wait a couple of weeks the fall update RS3 will be out with a brand new ISO, both should work fine without anything (maybe wifi drivers to get you online then windows update will take over for missing drivers)

The only reason the 1502 version needed Intel boot drivers is the chipset was so new they didn't make it into the ISO, 1703 should have them.

As for the partitioning, dunno!
    Maybe a quirk with the outdated version but failing that you have several 3rd party programs that will do it.

3. tachlio

tachlio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No issue to run tpm.msc

TB16 is not portable... looking alternative can charge my OnePlus5 & XPS15

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2017
  4. jbnb

jbnb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Google's 60W usb-c wall charger can charge my xps 15, as well as my note 5, and my tablet. of course, not all at once ;)

5. bobxxz

bobxxz Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know why Dell does not sell batteries for this model 9560? I have been searching around the web and found nothing. Dell only sells the powerbank, but what happens after 2-3 years when battery dies completely?

6. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    1, it has been out for less a year so we are all within warranty.
    2, they had major issues that I assume stopped production and they have only just started to come in stock for warranty issues.
    3, finding the right person to speak with at Dell helps but due to point #1 you will have a hard time with them not being a user changeable part (as in flicking a button to remove it rather than taking the bottom off)

7. irritatingbloke

irritatingbloke Newbie

Reputations:

Oh the shame of it - I realised this yesterday as I was shaking my head about 'really *no* track pad control?' and typed trackpad into the windows search bar - imagine my surprise! I've been using windows since about win 386, and this 'two places for looking for settings' is doing my head in. Every time I think I have the settings down they change them...

And, yup, calling dell for help... as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

I had already wiped the system and put on 1703 but I was flummoxed by the trackpad thing - dell suggested using their image and the voyage of discovery began.

The biggest discovery for me was the two types of 'system install' that are around now.

Dell provide a 'restore' image which wipes the partitions, puts its in own, and throws in a partition in *after* the system partition. You get no control of this (so you can't jump in and do shift F10 and person handle diskpart to do it) and when you try to shrink the partition later it doesn't allow you to go below 50%. Which means 450Gb for me which is not what I want. Yeah could have used something 3rd party but I wanted to do it natively as possible.

I prefer the standard install you get from the MS image.

One final question though: I was looking at the drivers thread, and was interested in the 'optimum driver install list' MS have got most of the drivers in the ISO now, does anyone actually still go through the loading the Dell drivers any more - I kinda have to cos that's how I have always done it, but I realise we aren't in Kansas any more...

Aaannnyyway. Thanks for the info, sorry to be a dimwit, sorry for trusting Dell support (I used to 'fix' mainframes I have a distorted view of tech support).

I'm now off to try your trick of switching on AHCI and standing well back - oh yes and reinstalling the whole shooting match again... (and doing the same thing all over again with 1709)

pip pip

C

8. irritatingbloke

irritatingbloke Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh the shame of it - I realised this yesterday as I was shaking my head about 'really *no* track pad control?' and typed trackpad into the windows search bar - imagine my surprise! I've been using windows since about win 386, and this 'two places for looking for settings' is doing my head in. Every time I think I have the settings down they change them...

And, yup, calling dell for help... as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

I had already wiped the system and put on 1703 but I was flummoxed by the trackpad thing - dell suggested using their image and the voyage of discovery began.

The biggest discovery for me was the two types of 'system install' that are around now.

Dell provide a 'restore' image which wipes the partitions, puts its in own, and throws in a partition in *after* the system partition. You get no control of this (so you can't jump in and do shift F10 and person handle diskpart to do it) and when you try to shrink the partition later it doesn't allow you to go below 50%. Which means 450Gb for me which is not what I want. Yeah could have used something 3rd party but I wanted to do it natively as possible.

I prefer the standard install you get from the MS image.

One final question though: I was looking at the drivers thread, and was interested in the 'optimum driver install list' MS have got most of the drivers in the ISO now, does anyone actually still go through the loading the Dell drivers any more - I kinda have to cos that's how I have always done it, but I realise we aren't in Kansas any more...

Aaannnyyway. Thanks for the info, sorry to be a dimwit, sorry for trusting Dell support (I used to 'fix' mainframes I have a distorted view of tech support).

I'm now off to try your trick of switching on AHCI and standing well back - oh yes and reinstalling the whole shooting match again... (and doing the same thing all over again with 1709)

pip pip

C

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Apart from having the wireless drivers to hand just in case I find windows update puts all the drivers on with the same date as Dell offer. Never expected windows update to work but it does!

10. irritatingbloke

irritatingbloke Newbie

Reputations:
    Well Quite.

I have a directory with all the drivers on the USB with the ISO on it - and I love this 21st century thing that Dell are offering: a button to allow you to extract the drivers. I do that to them and when device manager says ''what the bloody hell is this" I point it to the folder and tell it 'its in there'. And most times it sorts its self.

Sorry about the double post - where is the delete button on this system...

C