XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. jbnb

jbnb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Whether or not you think it makes sense pl1 is set by the cpu to 45w as explained here http://forum.notebookreview.com/index.php?posts/9855390
    The laptop may have it's own ideas and trigger another pl1 via the bios but it's still related to wattage used.

And just to throw in the reason I don't increase the efficiency of the vram pads is to prevent the heat coming from the cpu being transferred into the vram via the heatsink.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  3. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Yes it will work fine, I have the 960 Evo 1tb and the 1st batch XPS 9560s had the 961

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

4. Huzaifah

Huzaifah Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. New here, so would love your advice. I've been having the darned issue with intel's 530 drivers for a very long time now on my XPS 9550.. and I've been putting up with it... the warranty on my laptop was long gone. Anyways, after reading your Solution @GoNz0 , I managed to remove using DDU, but I have had to rollback all the way to 4352! Anyways just wanted to say thanks there, its all working now.

My question is, I just bought a 9560 - don't want to lose all my work etc and not really sure how to clone NVME SSD's... will it be okay if I just put my Samsung pm961 512GB SSD into the new XPS 9560 without rebooting windows on it, but as is with all the content? Not sure what SSD that laptop comes with, but I hear it's not as good anyway.

My concern is the drivers, chipset etc that could cause conflicts with the new system seeing as it's a different model.

Thanks in advance.

5. J-J

J-J Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I have a question.
    Yesterday I was involved in a pretty bad car accident. My car is totally wasted. Luckily I was't injured!
    I had my XPS with me in my laptop backpack and in its protective sleeve.
    Unfortunately it got pretty damaged:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So as you can see it's damaged on the side, I also think the hdmi ports is broken. The screen is broken on the bottom and bottom-left side.

I purchased it at the end of June, luckily (I hope) with an "Accidental Damage insurance".

My question now is, will it be covered?
    Read the terms & conditions and can't find anything that would suggest otherwise, but I just wanna be sure before calling to the insurance company.

Does anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks a lot!

J-J

6. infernix

infernix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If the CPU cores run at 1.5ghz they aren't drawing anything near max watts, so that should leave plenty of headroom for VRAM to draw some power. But let's assume this is the case, how much watts does the GPU VRAM pull would you say? I mean, if I cool them, there is no power throttling on the GPU whatsoever. The breaking point seems to sit around 55-60C measured on top of the heatsink above the VRAM (so actual VRAM temp could be anywhere from 60-75 I guess). Is the VRAM so power hungry when hot?

I'd agree, however CPU temps and even GPU temps are all well below thermal throttling limits. So suppose I'd want to try, what kind of thermal pads would be better? Any idea what the W/mK rating is for the Dell pads that come with it?

7. dave-p

dave-p Notebook Deity

Reputations:

If you have Dells accidental coverage it will be covered, if you put your service tag in dells support site under the warranty link it will tell you there if you you have accidental coverage.

Otherwise yes call your car insurance and have them cover it. this will not be a cheap repair.
    last - Glad you were not were not hurt.

Cheers
    Dave

8. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Easy way it to lock it into safe mode (google how to set the safe mode flag) transplant the SSD and after it boots you can take it out of safe mode. Stick the wifi drivers for the 9560 on the old laptop ready to install post swap and windows update will take care of the rest. If it all goes a bit tits up I would backup what you need (should have a backup anyway tbh) and format for a fresh start.

Many many other ways to do it better, you could simply connect both new and old to the home network, setup read privilages on the old one and copy of the network if oyu just want documents etc moving.

You had an accident and have accident insurance, go for it.
    Hope the bruises heal quick!

Don't forget it has to trade off CPU and iGPU for that 45w, I can't explain why you are hitting it apart from the obvious but a PL1 is what it is and undervolting may keep you away from it but at the end of the day the chips a 65w chip with it's balls in a vice.

Dell I expect use around 6W/mK, ie cheap and cheerful, they do the job, anything above and you are passing heat the wrong way.

9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    First, based on extensive reading of the posts here, I think the majority of 9560 cooling issues are with the VRM rather than the VRAM (the 9550 has a defective VRAM heatsink design which seems to be improved for the 9560).

Once the VRM sensor hits about 77-78*, the 9550 & 9560 generally will throttle. I think Dell did this because the VRM is underspecced & because the mosfets get very inefficient at higher temps (providing a lot less wattage) & because the XPS has very limited cooling capacity. There are other throttling schemes you might hit, including power related, but this VRM temp seems to be the most popular bottleneck.

You can see the VRM temps in HWiNFO64 as a (hot) ambient sensor. Also remember that any wattage reported by your system is a very poor estimate so is not especially useful.

I don't think the throttling reasons are always correctly categorized (or named). So that causes some confusion.

I estimated that Dell gives the CPU and GPU each about 45w max available in ideal cool situations. The CPU & GPU are powered separately with dedicated mosfets & chokes. If the CPU consumes less power, the GPU is still capped at about 45w (but the system benefits as there is more thermal headroom).

It is worth noting that the laptop 1050 GPU can be configured to run at much higher than 45w. I have seen some people claim up to 65w or 75w but have not found a relaible max spec. The XPS struggles at ~45w.

10. jbnb

jbnb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you, as always!