XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. Don16

Don16 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. prringa

prringa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I have my XPS 15 9560 (i5, Full HD Version with 32GB SSD (which i changed to a Samsung 960 Evo 250 GB) + 1TB HDD model) and loving it so far.

Before I clean installed windows i went into dxdiag on the original OS from dell and i had two graphics, a tab for IntelHD Graphics and one for Nvidia ones. Then I installed a bootable windows 10 64 bit (1703 creators edition?) image and clean installed it.

Everything went fine and I installed all drivers and everything seemed to work, but later I realised i had very low fps in games and I saw that games used the Intel Graphics and not NVIDIA GTX 1050 Graphics. Although I have NVIDIA drivers installed (tried many versions, atm. im on NVIDIA driver for notebooks 378.49) I can't open NVIDIA control center, I get the error message that no Display is plugged into NVIDIA graphics.

In device manager the NVIDIA GTX 1050 has a yellow triangle and when going to properties it says famous error code 43. I clean installed many other versions but no luck, everytime it shows triangle and error in device manager. But I am sure it's a software error as the card worked with original dell firmware.

Could anybody help me or give a few tips? I literally reinstalled and tested various driver versions in various orders, clean installed windows more than 3 times already, always the same error.

Installation of NVIDIA driver works, but I dont see "NVIDIA CONTROL CENTER" when I right-click my desktop, when I try to open the nvidia control center in the control settings it tells me the error with "no display plugged into nvndia graphics".

Please, I really need some suggestions, I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks so much in advance, i hope you can rescue me!

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Same screen on the 9550, 9560 and both precisions. Maybe a more cherry picked on the precisions due to the crappy QC us XPS owners have.

Use DDU https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=874
    Wipe out both nvidia and intel as you may as well clean up them both. After the 2nd reboot install Intel and Nvidia, I suggest Intel ending 4771 and always the latest nvidia.

windows will install an older Intel driver via windows update but you can roll back (can cause issues) or install group policy for windows 10 (google how to do it) if you have home or use group policy to prevent that device ID being updated (also google it)

naturecannon likes this.
  5. MLev1777

MLev1777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had a similar thought and looked into this extensively above six months ago. Long story short, its quite a bit more complicated than charging pretty much any other device. And in the end, any custom solution I could come up with ended up being significantly more expensive than off the shelf items, even considering the added features a custom make would have.
    As others have mentioned, you need to follow the USB power delivery protocol for the laptop to negotiate and then accept any power. The only conceivable way to do this is buying a USB PD chip, from which I found Ti and Cypress to provide the best options. (you could potentially create your own microprocessor to handle the USB PD protocol, but this would take a huge amount of coding and validation to make work, essentially impossible for even a highly skilled DIYer)
    After getting the chip, you'd have to design your own PCB to add in the necessary crystals, capacitors, resistors, etc. These chips also only open or close transistors as per the USB PD negotiation process, so you'd also have to make a custom power conversion element on the chip or a separate one (as you seem to have done before). I ended up going as far as drawing up a custom PCB in Eagle CAD, for a full design with a TI LM5175 buck boost chip and a Ti TPS25741 USB PD controller that would accept any voltage battery or DC transformer from 5V to 40V and convert it to 5V, 9V, or 20V depending on the sink and PD negotiation for a full design USB PD solution. I almost sent it for printing but ultimately I put my costs at around $300 to $400 which was unjustifiable for my use case and considering how close off the shelf items would come.
    The closest thing for your idea above would be to get what they call an evaluation board from Ti or Cypress (if you can satisfy their requirements, I.E. being in the field or a related one where you can justify yourself as a future customer). These boards are fully functional with the USB PD controllers and all needed components, and just require a DC in which you could provide via a buck boost or similar. These boards however often sell in the $100 to $200 range alone.
    Hope this helps and would be happy to discuss further if you're interested, but honestly its a painful process. I only went as far as I did for the fun of the design phase, and would just recommend a commercially available unit. I could suggest a few I've come across if needed

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  6. naturecannon

naturecannon Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to thank you for your wealth of info Gonzo. I just received the 9560 yesterday and your posts are all across the board with a wealth of info, tips and tweaks to improve this beautiful beast of an XPS. Thank you very much for all your time and effort here helping others like me.

CRLN, AceOfDaves, GoNz0 and 1 other person like this.
  7. infernix

infernix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I've repasted, undervolted, and CPU wise all is well. But as soon as I play PUBG or run Unigine Valley, GPU power limit throttling kicks in.

I've held a 2k RPM blow dryer with cool air against the entire VRM section and it has no effect, but when I point it to the GPU VRAM (below the QR code sticker), power throttling stops and GPU runs full speed at 1.7GHz. GPU temp then slowly climbs up to 67C, on max volt (1.075 iirc).

I checked the thermal pads and they seem to make contact just fine; my IR gun measures 60C and up on that VRAM chip when power limit throttling kicks in.

Has anyone else seen this? I am finding almost no posts concerning overheating VRAM causing the GPU to downclock (to <1GHZ, killing FPS). Any suggestions?

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Power limit is the CPU capped at 45w, nothing to worry about as the chip is doing it.

9. infernix

infernix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That makes no sense. If I cool the VRAM, the GPU does not power limit throttle. How's that nothing to worry about? GPU clock goes <1GHz when playing a PUBG game for 5 mins

Edit: to clarify, the CPU will run all 4 cores at 3.4ghz with the undervolt (-150mv on cpu, -100 on igpu/system agent). But even if I force the CPU at 1.5ghz or lower (power scheme), the *GPU* will power limit throttle. Its voltage is then dropped to 0.750v or lower, and its clock anywhere between 585mhz and ~1GHz.

It doesn't matter if I cool the entire VRM to <45c with the blow dryer, the GPU will stay that way. But as soon as I cool the VRAM, the GPU will happily run at 1.7GHz (and 1.075v) constantly. When it does this, GPU temps are around 68c. If some of the VRM temps increase, it doesn't care - it will stay at 1.7ghz just fine.

So I can understand that the VRAM gets too hot and that causes it to draw too much power, but how to counteract this? It seems now as if the GPU never runs at >1Ghz and frequently goes down to 600mhz.

And obviously by GPU i mean the GTX1050, not the iGPU.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  10. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just a little off topic post for you guys. I picked up a MSI GS63VR laptop because I was considering replacing my 9560 with it and here are my initial thoughts:

Pros of the GS63VR
    Awesome keyboard- I like my 9560 keyboard but it's not near as nice to type on as the steel series
    A number pad!
    GTX 1060
    It looks cool, although it's a little flashy
    Ability to control fans

Cons when compared to the 9560
    The 6700HQ runs much hotter than my 7300HQ even with hyper threading turned off and it undervolted (not a totally fair compairison since I did repaste the XPS with liquid metal) - 68C on the XPS after 15 mins of prime95 vs 82C on the GS63VR with a -160mv undervolt and HT turned off
    The CPU fan is way more annoying than on the XPS
    No ability to charge it with USB-C - wtf MSI
    Battery life - no real run through yet, just basic use it seems to be a couple hours behind the XPS
    Have to take out the motherboard to change the M.2 SSD or ram
    It's bigger than the XPS and not as portable - I could deal with it for the 1060 though

Overall I'm leaning on sending the MSI back - if anything for the annoying fan noise as most of that I could totally deal with. I still have to actually run some games on it and see what the 1060 can do.

naturecannon likes this.