XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The wattage reported by any program is a very imprecise estimate so don't get fixated with that.

Also, the creator of ThrottleStop argues that to reduce power consumption you should not focus on MHz. But rather you should try to optimize your system so c-states at idle with no programs running:

1. reduce C0% to <0.5%
    2. maximixe high core C State Percentage to say 99% at C7 (whatever the highest C-State ThrottleStop shows on your computer which might be C8 or C9)

See below for some tips; there are more in that dedicated thread

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  2. djkanoko

djkanoko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone figured out a way to reduce the backlight below Windows standard 0% setting? I find the backlight at 0% to still be too bright at night. Some 9550 users have commented that different BIOS versions have altered the minimum backlight brightness (likely to prevent noticeable PWM at lower values). I should mention I'm only looking for a way to reduce power to the backlight, not alter the black or white level via software controlled brightness settings. I have BIOS 1.3.4.

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    This laptop came with the minimum already set to the level of the 9550 after the ******** fix they applied (removing the lower 20%) so unless you're handy with BIOS editing and EFI shell you are out of luck on this one.

4. Don16

Don16 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh this would be perfect if we could somehow managed to do this. Cant we just use 9550 old bios and downgrade since they are almost the same laptops.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  5. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Erm, nope.

6. atraxal

atraxal Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, reposting this as I did not get an answer on it:
    Has anybody found a way to control the fans with the XPS 9560? Prior to this laptop I had an Asus and was using this https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases, it was really amazing as I could setup threshold and fan % myself and it would start automatically with windows. Anything similar for the XPS?

also

Startup time up to the windows login screen is quite long, I compared it with my previous Asus (i7 4th gen, ssd, ddr3) and dhe dell is around at least 3 times slower. Any idea on this?

7. vas

vas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No idea about fan control. But second question was already answered in this thread. This is due to BIOS initialization related to DDR4 memory (don't know exactly why ...)

8. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Memory training and I didn't bother to reply before as it has been asked but no you can't do a great deal with the fans, speedfan can mess about with them but the BIOS will take over, I have no answer how to use speedfan but I expect they have a support forum somewhere.

9. tachlio

tachlio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. Esaelias187

Esaelias187 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys sorry if i come across as ignorabt but there are alot of pages to go through and im debating whether to return my macbookpro 2017 for the dell xps 9560

Some people say its the best some say avoid it....

I will be buying the 4k version and have questions

1) what are the problems?
    2) screen have backlght bleed?
    3)overheating issues?
    4) driver issues?

Btw what is the sound quality like?

Thanks in advance