XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. husky55

husky55 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a Libre Office problem with the Dell that I am unable to fix for the last few days. Latest LO, used Calculator function for spreadsheet for many years. Now I also have other laptops and desktop and LO works fine on them. The XPS 15 is brand new and LO toolbar and menubar are completely mislabelled, i.e. click on Save and get something like undo or copy etc...There are options to fix this but they are grey out. I went to LO forum but nobody is having the problem, possibly because they do not use Dell XPS 15. I know this is the Dell xps 15 onwers forum and not the LO forum, but just in case somebody besides me use LO, can chime in I would appreciate it.
    For years I used MS Office Excel but MS has crippled the excel program so I was no longer able to download stock prices into the spreadsheet. That is the reason I used LO.

2. tachlio

tachlio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Planning to perform repaste + undervolt for my system.
    During collecting some default result found something confuse.

1. Prime95/15min show quite stable and all temp(except cpu) almost reach the limit.
    - any specific setting for P95?
    - after perform, expected result?? cpu lower 10-15c, ambient increase?
    [​IMG]Default_Prime_SmallFFT

2. 3DMark FS score 54xx
    - I try compare other i5 + 1050, its seen this is normal....
    [​IMG]Default_3dMark_FireStrike
    [​IMG]Default_3dMark_SkyDiver
    [​IMG]Default_3dMark_CluodGate

3. planning to use xtu for undervolt
    - According http://www.ultrabookreview.com/14875-fix-throttling-xps-15/, its using TS. Does core/cache concept apply to XTU as well?
    - Review from Dave2D mention XTU undervolt apply permanent, it mean after restart setting is fix, how about XTU uninstall?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  3. AceOfDaves

AceOfDaves Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. I think I had this problem. It was as though LOwas being rendered incorrectly such that there was a difference between where the mouse was on the screen and where LO thinks it is, meaning that the menu wasn't displaying correctly and I couldn't click on the menu entries that I wanted.

Initially, I fixed this by going into options (alt+F12 if the menu's not working properly) -> Libreoffice ->View and unticking 'Use OpenGL for all rendering'.

Ultimately, I updated the intel driver to version 4627 using the procedure listed elsewhere on this forum. That seems to have fixed it good: opengl is re-enabled in LO.

Hope that's helpful :)

4. haggismn

haggismn Newbie

Reputations:
    XTU changes revert after 10 or so reboots. TS needs to be run on boot to apply every time. The EFI_Shell method is the only which works permanently (ensuring xtu interface is disabled once set), at least until the BIOS is reset, and has an additional VCCIO undervolt option.

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I need to find some time to pick apart this BIOS to see if I can figure out how to show hidden options, Dell have hidden the controls for years but the later BIOS cannot be modded like they used to so EFIshell is the last option.

6. atraxal

atraxal Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry if this is something you have described several times, but am not able to find a guide on how to set this in the BIOS as the XTU is really frustrating by resetting the values randomly.
    It makes me check each time...

Thanks!

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I didn't do the how to for xtu and efishell, I'm also away for a week so in sure someone else will link to the post as it would take ages to find on tapatalk. It should be the last 20 pages :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just to add even with the efi hacks it still resets at random for me as well

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

atraxal likes this.
  9. cwagz78

cwagz78 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I just bought an XPS 9560 yesterday at Costco. The i7 QHD 16GB Ram / 512GB SSD. I noticed that the fans would never shut off. I also noticed that the system would not idle. Running powercfg -energy would show nvlddmkm.sys using 6-8% utilization during the 60 second trace period. This was never letting the CPU throttle down to idle.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I used DDU and reinstalled the nVidia drivers. Without the nVidia drivers the CPU would idle. As soon as I reinstalled them the nvlddmkm.sys process would start consuming constant cycles again. I had decided to take the laptop back and ran a reset on it. Funny thing is the problem seems to be gone after the reset. Even with the same driver version.

Should I swap the laptop out for another one? I am concerned something is actually wrong with the video card. Also - the right side fan (for the video card) seems to make a light clicking sound when it spins.

Based on everything I have read it sounds like it is normal for the fans to spin at low speed most of the time, or is this not the case? I was expecting the fans to be mostly off unless I was actually doing something processor intensive.

Thanks!

10. Weellz

Weellz Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG] Hi Everyone,

first of all thanks for all tips i could read here on the forum to fix my New XPS 15 that made me frustrated as hell.
    I did kind of everything, driver for the Toshiba SSD, all last drivers updated, even have all my Adobe stuff recognize the Nvidia and running smooth.
    I did Undervolt with Throttlestop + shut down the task of the Thermal platform + Disable the Turbo in Throttlestop + put 5% and 80% in the power management to min and max so when i play im reaching like 76C max. (Didnt repaste yet)
    But i still have kind of a power limit throttling or power limitation after a certain amount of time.
    That limit the processor to 800.

Here is a screen of HWMI after 2 games. If you have any idea of what it can be.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017