XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I hear you. If Apple hadn't taken the decision to limit the RAM to 16 GB, it would probably have been my first choice also based on previous experience with both Dell and Apple. But are you then running Windows on your MBP considering that you probably used that on the XPS15?

Above said though, after having done a complete reinstallation of the XPS15 and ignored all "recommended drivers" from Dell and done some BIOS tuning, it's currently not running to bad after all. And having an USB and HDMI port isn't to bad either.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Before XPS I owned Latitude and there was this magic hotkey "Fn+B" for a "do not disturb" mode when all lights (including activity leds etc) and sounds were turned off (even the fan if possible) which was ideal for watching movies on TV or letting laptop download stuff through the night...I guess there is no such thing on XPS...?

3. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Two unrelated questions:

1. (old but unaddressed) Is there nothing to do to speed up the auto connect? It's pretty strange because I can almost instantly connect manually, but if I just leave the computer alone it takes quite a long time to connect.

2. How often do you clean the vents or any internals of the computer for dust? I'm not sure how it is with this laptop, but with past Dell's, vents became quite dusty and needed cleaning and I also had to open up the computer for dust from time to time. If I didn't, temperatures started to get high and fans would run much more often. What do you suggest for the 9560?

4. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1. Replace the Killer NIC with the Intel 8265 and those problems are gone.

5. mr_handy

mr_handy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When I had my M3800 in heavy use as my primary machine, probably ended up cleaning it about twice a year but I was in it for other reasons anyway -- I'm not sure that much is necessary. These are really easy machines to clean for dust because of the way the fans are mounted separately from the heat sink, if you're comfortable taking the bottom off.

...and speaking of that, I just did that today, and re-pasted as well. Both DEAD easy.

The Killer NIC is would not connect to my work network (WP2-Enterprise + P-EAP) at all, when a $15 Edimax USB dongle would, and got terrible connection speeds to my main wireless router at home (oddly it did better with the cruddy cable company provided one that I don't really use.) Will see tomorrow if the 8265 fixes the work problem. The repaste has my fans turning on quite a bit less.

(I don't seem to be able to get the same level of undervolt that some people here have reported; stability is perfect at -0.075 but -0.100 gets intermittent freezes -- although it comes back from them rather than crashing.

6. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The only configuration I can find with the i7 processor and 16 gig of memory and the 1080 screen only is offered with a 512G SSD. If I go this route I'll probably immediately replace it with a 1T SSD.

My question: back when I put an SSD in my Alienware, the forums all said you needed to format the SSD so that about 20% of it would not be used, for speed, etc. Is that still true?

7. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nothing I noticed when I did it at least. There are some performance trickery you can do with SSDs that would set aside a big portion of the drive to increase performance, but that shouldn't be specific to Alienware.

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Real world it will not increase performance just allow a little better wear leveling ability by allowing more space for provisioning, in other words you are being tricked into wasting a bunch of space as they all have extra capacity anyway that is already set aside for over provisioning from the factory so I have no idea why they want to mug you off with another 10% of space gone.

Even the name insinuates you throwing capacity away as it is called "over" provisioning. While it may be great in a server environment I dare say less than 5% of NBR users would reap any benefit or lifespan.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...nt/Samsung_SSD_845DC_04_Over-provisioning.pdf

jefflackey and improwise like this.
  9. haode

haode Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the suggestions!

After repasting it with MX4, the max temperature is now 96°c and no more blue screens

I accidentally rolled up a thermal pad (became unusable) but I replaced with a similar thermal pad of 6w/m.K. Will this void warranty?

Athonline likes this.
  10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    I doubt any dell engineer would even notice if you changed the pads.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Athonline likes this.