XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks guys. So should I expect the 6.9 wear to just continue to get worse or have you noticed the wear number fluctuating both up and down from regular use? I will follow your advice and do nothing right now but if this continues I will be demanding a new battery from Dell. 3.1% wear in two weeks doesn't make any sense.

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    YMMV

3. Athonline

Athonline Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It will fluctuate both up and down. All batteries have some wear right outside the box. This is "expected", as it also works as a measurement for the battery not to charge to 100% of its capacity (that will damage the long-term life of the battery). I wouldn't worry about it. If it goes over 10% you can tell Dell, but don't replace it. Wait until the next of the year, as batteries only have one year of warranty (they are considered consumables).

insidemanpoker likes this.
  4. redskins1791

redskins1791 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone,

Having read through all 231 pages, I have picked up lots of great advice for my 9560 32gb, 1tb SSD, 4k screen.
    What I am trying to achieve is less fan noise and better battery life.

Having Undervolted my machine to CPU -125mW / GPU -75mW
    In Bios disabled - Webcam, Touchscreen, Bluetooth, and C stats.
    Changed numerous suggested settings in power options from the posts here, including the sections power adjustment settings/Intel graphics settings/PCI Express/Processor Power Management/System Cooling Policy/Adaptive Brightness, even changed the TDP settings to Low & power limit level to 1 on battery.
    Even turned off backlit keyboard, and lowered brighness to 35%.

The Results - Temps playing Second Life game down from 88c CPU / 82c GPU to 60c CPU / 55c GPU which is a massive improvement.
    Fan also a lot quieter and coming on less.
    BUT ...... Battery life is still only 3 1/2 hours, and thats just browing in firefox or typing word documents. I know the 4K screen uses a lot more battery, but some people on here are still getting 6 hours.

Any ideas ?, not sure what else I can change, my battery full charge capacity is 95,851mWh, so only slightly down.

Many Thanks

Redskins1791

5. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    When you say you disabled "C stats" in the BIOS, what exactly do you mean? That sounds suspiciously like "C states" which the CPU uses to save power. If you disable those, the battery life should indeed be low.

6. vas

vas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Enable C-states back and you'll notice massive battery improvement.
    (BTW: it looks like you read those pages not carefully ... ;))

All things you consider to improve performance - decrease battery life. Just find proper compromise or just switch profiles when you want better battery or performance...
    I was able to achieve 9.5h on battery by all software tweaks @25% brightness.

pressing likes this.
  7. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    - Disabling c states is typically done to have CPU run full throttle all the time. That is not exactly what happens with the XPS, but that is a good way to consume power and kill your battery.

- Uncle Webb, the developer of ThrottleStop software, believes that best laptop battery life often is with SpeedShift enabled (EPP=255 or 100%). Using SpeedShift you should probably have the turbo enabled and Windows Power Options at "High Performance".

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

==> Reenable c states in BIOS

==> Try SpeedShift (EPP=255)

==> Go to Dell Command-power manager (thermal management tab) and choose a setting. Maybe quiet for less fan action

==> Consider a repaste of CPU & GPU to reduce thermals and consequently reduce fan action

9. redskins1791

redskins1791 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice, I have now enabled c states again in the bios and will try speedshift and see what battery life I get.

I think your right, after 231 pages my reading wasnt as careful as it should have been lol

10. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    These settings could also affect DPC. I'm currently running with all disabled to test, but will try to switch then on soon and see what difference they make in that regard.