XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. AntoineViau

AntoineViau Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, Creator Update and/or Dell Update set the HD 630 driver to 4574 : lags and freezes in Chrome went back.
    I reversed to 4590.

2. g.achrainer

g.achrainer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Battery of G3 / G4 is way smaller than Dell's 97wh. But they support 2x M.2 SSD, AFAIK.

3. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So only full TB3 then compared to the XPS? Now ,don't get me wrong here, I can see reasons to get the HP instead of the XPS, but then the same reasons would probably have been in favor of the G3 versus the XPS also.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  4. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What do people use the TB3 port for? I've read about various use cases (external GPU, fancy external monitor and Dell's dock or a similar method of conversion into multiple other ports), but they strike me as rather specific to people who own fairly expensive hardware that I don't really need. Is there a more general use for this thing?

5. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I made a separate audio thread regarding audio optimization but am curious if anyone else is experiencing headphone recognition issues specifically? I have had it with two different drivers. Have the latest Realtek driver that Dell posted yesterday now. Usually a pop up asks me which device I am plugging in but now it's not asking anything and sound just plays out of speakers. I have reinstalled the driver twice. Sometimes I can get it back to the stage where it gives me the pop up but then it eventually just goes to ****.

6. jbnb

jbnb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Pop-up problem has already been answered in this thread, but to reiterate, just disable "Realtek HD Audio Manager" and "Wave MaxxAudio Service" from the start up menu. (Windows+X, T, "startup" tab). Once they are disabled, you won't see pop-ups each time you plugin your earphone.

As for the drivers, no need to use the ones posted on Dell. Just uninstall all audio drivers, and then use "Windows update" to grab the latest ones. That suffices to make audio work with all speakers, internal and external, earphones, etc.

7. Athonline

Athonline Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think, most people argue in favour of having it for future proofing. At the moment, I believe, the most common use of the TB3 port is as a mini DisplayPort to hook-up external screens with mDP->VGA and mDP->DisplayPort. Unfortunately, it appears that Intel charges quite a bit for TB licensing. Yet, a TB accessories come down in prices, it might be more likely to buy/use one of these -currently- expensive accessories.

8. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mainly you need it for one or two 4K external displays @60Hz, that's over DP so the 2xPCIe is not a problem for this.
    Over PCIe, which is restricted to 2x (but older PC cards were even more), yes you can connect an external GPU, or anything you'd otherwise want to plug into desktop's expansion ports, like big fast external storage, data acquisition devices, etc.

9. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When you say uninstall all audio drivers...does all = intel display audio + NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device + Realtek Audio? Anything more or less? So after that, just run windows update before restarting?

10. LiamAcer

LiamAcer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Another update behind my BSOD debacle...

Before undergoing another clean install I decided to give the new Intel 630 drivers that Dell uploaded to their website yesterday with my existing Macrium imagine that I created during day one of ownership (factory state installation), complete with a DDU clear out beforehand of the other drivers. Sadly the new drivers didn't cure the problem and a BSOD was still presented within half an hour of use.

I then decided to proceed with the fresh install once again, but this time with the Creators Update directly from the USB creation tool from MS. I did however beforehand try and install Gonzo's clean ISO version but some reason but 9560 simply would not detect my USB drive itself as a bootable USB with this clean version of the ISO - I'm pretty certain that it's something to do with USB drive itself as I've ran into this same issue in the past with my old 9550 and custom build ISO's (Though ISO's directly from MS & using the media creation tool, never a problem) but I didn't want to mess around with the BIOS too much this time around to workaround it, and so therefore wiped the USB drive once again and installed the Creators Update ISO directly from MS.

The installation process the first time around halted at 91% and stayed there for half an hour, I eventually decided to do a reboot and then realised that the laptop wasn't plugged in the entire time of the setup... I imagine this may of conflicted with the installation due to the laptop naturally running on power saving features controlled via the BIOS. The second attempt with the laptop plugged in went smoothly.

Once getting the setup out of the way I skipped everything and especially the wifi, just so Windows wouldn't automatically install drivers in the background. One by one I installed all the drivers myself, but this time going ahead and installing the latest Intel 630 driver from Dell again just in case it may have added compatibility for the Creators Update. Once everything was setup the laptop ran fine for the first 90 minutes while it was plugged in. Once at 100% I unplugged and the laptop was still stable for over 90 minutes, I then decided to give HWMonitor a check over at the new idle temps with a clean install and within a minute it presented the same dreaded BSOD!

Back to the drawing board, I then gave DDU another clean and this time installed the latest version directly from the Intel website, which I believe is version 4627. There we have it as of 19:30PM this evening and up to now at 22:30PM - so far, no BSOD! :)

Just before I finish... the screen went black just now... sodding Windows update has backdated the driver to 4574! Better get it changed back again and disable automatic driver updates.

Liam.