XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. FluffyDroid

FluffyDroid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have any of you runt into problems with the warranty after sending back a laptop with this mod? I wouldn't want to void it, even though this seems very tempting :)

2. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nope.

FluffyDroid likes this.
  3. Procyon82

Procyon82 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do have to say that the laptop sounds like a jet engine when playing games and the fans are at max RPM.

franzerich likes this.
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That guy is going to kill his laptop with FurMark. Our professional laptop engineer in residence (GoNz0) recommends never using FurMark with a laptop as thermals are not robust enough.

My 9550 had this issue. Repaste and undervolting helped. But still had power throttle at low temps (you can see that in XTU or HWiNFO64). XTU let me increase wattage and I am having a tough time getting system to throttle.

I would not do that without a good repaste and close monitoring of temps. Not sure if it will work on 9560:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  5. Rockstar75

Rockstar75 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi,
    so today was the day Dell seems to make me glad :) I received my 9560 some hours ago and...it came with the fingerprint reader!
    I orderd it on Jan, 17th by chat, because the FR seems to available just on the business site. So the agent configured it for me. A few minutes later I got notified about an error in their system telling the FR isnt available yet. But they didnt cancel and I thought about sending it back and order one with the FR.
    Everything seems to be fine with the machine (7700HQ, 1TB SSD, 4k). No coil wine till now! I just opened up and repasted/repadded and will do some testing the next days.

Speed Shift is not enabled by default, but I activated it via RWEverything. Undervolting seems not to get as far as on my 9550 (about -150mV). I managed to get -120mV safely.

I will ticker with SpeedShift later, but till now I´m really satisfied and think I will Keep it!

6. FluffyDroid

Reputations:
    Good stuff! Great to hear. Did you have to pay extra for the FP reader? According to this thread on reddit the FP is supposed to be ~€30 extra: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5relyf/anyone_in_the_uk_who_ordered_with_the_fingerprint/¨

7. Procyon82

Procyon82 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FluffyDroid likes this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You are a RockStar!

FluffyDroid likes this.
  9. herc182

herc182 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have decided to get the AW 15 R3 instead. UHD version with nvidia 1070, 32gb ram and i7 6820. I wasn't overly bothered on portability but did want a power house for photo and video editing. Looking forward to receiving it now!

huntnyc likes this.
  10. FluffyDroid

Reputations:
    Which parts did you repad btw? Just the SSD? Or did you put padding on the VR also?'

How did the paste look? Just as awful as on the 9550 with 10x the normally required amount spread out everywhere?