XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sometimes I wonder if you realize just how clueless the average user is relative to the average poster on here. I have no idea what the above means. I google NVMe and it just seems like gibberish to me. If you buy a configuration with only a SSD, are you saying that for some reason the BIOS wont be correctly configured and everyone should manually do this process of switching from Raid to ACHI?

I can't understand why Dell wouldnt have their computers configured in a way that makes it work well. Why would they go out of their way to sabotage the user experience? I understand QC issues and cutting costs, but why the hell would Dell go out of their way to have the computer set up to fail, have the worst drivers, no updates, the wrong BIOS settings, etc? Again, I fully understand QC issues and bloatware. I'm not happy about them but I understand why they exist, but this other stuff confuses me quite a lot.

I just want a simple way to make the computer work well. And by simple, I mean simple enough that you don't need to know what SATA, NVMe, Raid, etc even mean. From the sounds of this forum, I'm living in a fantasy land if I expect that to exist but it's so strange to me why it is the way it seems to be.

As to improwise's above post, I have seen him mention fingerprints and how he cleans them (50/50 water and white vinegar). I agree he seems very positive on Dell but he also is doing his best to provide useful info so that's great.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  2. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you don't know the difference, just let it be as it is. Many of these "tweaks" are such that the average user just wouldn't notice the difference anyway. And to be honest, in many cases neither would us power users, it more of a feeling that we have managed to squeeze out the last ounce of performance.

3. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I appreciate that. But a clean install is still a good idea, right? Sorry for being so frantic, but I just got a little overwhelmed when it seemed the process to do it involved a lot of technical seeming things. I don't think people who are really knowdlegable always understand just how easy it is to screw things up when you don't know what you're doing. My guess is that I can follow the steps in that youtube video, but right out of the gate there are a few things he goes through quickly that I don't understand. And when he mentions legit consequences if you don't have the right drivers on the flash drive, it's quite stressful for those that don't have much confidence in our knowledge.

One issue I would like some clarity on is how he discusses the different between a clean install on a 'hard drive' or not. What does he mean? Does hard drive mean the old drives and SSD isn't a hard drive? I thought they were both referred to as hard drives.

But basically, if you have the 1TB SSD config and want to do a clean install, you either load from windows site or from Gonzo's ISO onto a flash drive, then also add some drivers to that flash drive, then boot to it and follow the steps? Am I missing anything here?

4. vas

vas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yes it DOES say what every update related to.
    An example you can see in attachment to this post. This is related to Killer Wireless suite...
    As well as it describe which bugs/problems were fixed (this one fixing intermittent connection drop issue)

Attached Files:

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Either Bite the bullet, set it to AHCI and install my ISO, or follow that video, or leave it alone if it works. It is up to you but really I can't add anything else & I doubt anyone else can without repeating themselves :)

If you need anything else I suggest starting a new thread and maybe people can help in more detail as my threads have got a bit "busy" with lots of editing so I understand your concern jumping in this late but just take the plunge ;)

Oh and Dell use a single ISO for EVERY configuration of the 9560 so it has to work on them all hence leaving a lone NVMe drive in raid mode as it still works, just not as well as it does in AHCI mode.

improwise likes this.
  6. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I noticed something interesting, when I switched my 4K to 1080p (and did some tweaks to make it less blurry) the scrolling in web browsers etc are now much smoother again and the stuttering seem to have gone away. Seems like the iGPU cant really handle the 4K resolution.

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It can and then some, the drivers otoh are still buggy as hell :(

8. maz0r

maz0r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It looks like flux to me, not glue :p.

Yeah manually updating the Intel drivers fixed a bunch of issues for me, finally got my windows system setup with Unity3D VS and SQLServer, so thats that half done.

I'm working on my (extSSD) Linux install at present, ubuntu itself is running like a charm, fully upgraded for Kaby Lake on the 4.9 kernel, no issues on the hardware side :p
    Now I just need to figure out how to make the drive remain bootable after shutdown/disconnect Q_Q, boot partition is on the ext drive as /efi, works fine for reboots but foobar after the shutdown/disconnect.
    I assume its something to do with EFI, next install is going to be with legacy boot on the extSSD, if that fails I'll try installing the boot partition on the M.2 drive.

That said, It could be that I've screwed something in Grub (again :p).... and as idiot me would have it I may have found the problem EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi should be EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

Yup that was it, I now have dual boot with the Ubuntu install running purely on an external SSD :)

9. iaTa

iaTa Do Not Feed

Reputations:
    Does anyone here play Rocket League on their 9560 4K?

Considering picking one up but a little concerned about latency and ghosting.

10. Xanius

Xanius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have not played Rocket League, but I have played Overwatch and I do not notice any ghosting on the 4K panel. I had the FHD one and really did not like gaming on it.

iaTa likes this.