XPS 15 9560 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by GoNz0, Jan 20, 2017.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It doesn't support any HDD passwords iirc. When this happens you are at the mercy of other solutions such as bitlocker apart from Samsung being utter tits and not including it.

The point of the software is pretty self explanatory, it protects the hard drive data :)

2. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AFAIK it is the SSDs themselves that does the encryption but the challenge is to be able to control the password. I thought that the XPS15 could do this in BIOS like the Thinkpads, but if not, maybe I should reconsider.

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It has BIOS and system passwords but I don't think it encrypts the HDD data?

4. vas

vas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. windwardpine

windwardpine Newbie

Reputations:
    Does over clocking the 1050 cause much of a temp increase? I'm curious what sort of heat increase can be expected considering voltage doesn't change.

6. lewdvig

lewdvig Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Anyone playing the Andromeda trial on their XPS?

I got carried away playing on my desktop, and now the download on my XPS is slow because the preload just started for everyone that preordered. So while I wait I figured I would see what other people think. I'm travelling this week and need to play it on my 9560.

[edit] answered my own question. It runs great (for a few minutes) 1080p medium settings solid 60fps. I'll test tomorrow for throttling.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  7. aBs0lut3z33r0

aBs0lut3z33r0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The BIOS has options for HDD and M2 passwords . Bitlocker works fine with TPM

8. Vedya

Vedya There Is No Substitute...

Reputations:
    Had some wifi disconnect issues when I tried to download a large game. I tried uninstalling the Killer perfomance suite and restarted my computer. I was going to update to the newest drivers on killers website, but before that I was curious to see what my internet speed was without KPS installed. It was 100 Mbps, and when I installed the newest killer drivers, that dropped to 30. I'm going to uninstall these drivers again to see if my speed will go back to 100. Is there any downside to removing killer performance suite?

9. duevvu

duevvu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi to all.
    And again, after a fresh installation with the properly drivers, i have again a BSOD.
    The problems seems the same
    http://imgur.com/a/ZabuZ
    So, i have the pc from over two weeks but i can't work with it because i have those problems.
    Someone can suggest to me a solution?
    After the fresh installation, as usual, i have found the bad 630 drivers installed.
    I have installed the new one and after a reboot i have again the bad drivers and, in order to have the good, i had to do a roolback
    Now i have the 4590.
    About the nVidia 1050 i have installed the 7877.
    Can someone can help me to find the way to use the pc without problems

10. vas

vas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1st of all - you most probably use undervolt - so try to set 100% safe undervolt (I think it could be -100mV or so, just to be sure it's not cause. I can run mine for long on -150mV but it may BSOD once per day or two especially when idling, so went to -140mV - no BSOD for 2 days yet)
    2nd - did you switch between RAID/AHCI? I saw someone mentioned about SSD issues in AHCI mode which may be also related to you...