XPS 15 (9560) Drivers

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by cloud023, May 22, 2017.

1. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell pulled this BIOS. This is rather unusual because usually they don't pull flawed updates, probably because they fear admitting sloppiness. In this case Intel admitted premature ejaculation. If you're not in trouble of some sort, just wait for the next update and a couple weeks more, so that potential new cockups get reported here / on Dell redit / on Dell support forum. Mind downgrading led to bricks in some cases, seems to have caused more trouble than the flawed update itself.

2. The_Dude_Cares

The_Dude_Cares Newbie

Reputations:
    Nah, no trouble. What was the trouble with Intel? I didn't hear the news. Just received my XPS 15 the other day and it's still on it's stock version of windows 10. (other than entering the CD key to go with Pro) All I have done is get my USB drive ready to do the work on it. Serious kudos to the OP for making this guide and doing the research on the drivers. And if it so happens to brick, I have the warranty until 11/18.

3. Rockstar75

Rockstar75 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does any of you know the app "Snappy Driver Installer Origin" (http://www.snappy-driver-installer.org)? It´s a neat piece of software for automated driver updates and (in my opinion) not one of this bloatware apps. I´m quite impressed by now but would like to hear if anybody has negative experiences with this.

4. epguy3

epguy3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    read this recent article from the AskWoody web site regarding new Intel firmware patches:
    https://www.askwoody.com/2018/intel-says-its-new-spectre-busting-skylake-firmware-patch-is-ready/

Btw, try this Realtek v6.0.1.8328 x64 driver from MS (106.8Mb) [posted January 2018; includes MaxxAudio software, Realtek ASIO and the crucial HDXMA7.inf & HDXSSMA7.inf files] - should also work on the XPS 9560 and other XPS laptops

supported hardware IDs for this specific driver pack (listed in package details tab of this download but check the INF files to see if your hardware ID is listed)

5. cloud023

cloud023 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's quite annoying that the Kaby Lake BIOS is still in test stage. Once it drops I'll add it to this post as well.

Also @epguy3, did you test the 8328 driver?

6. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    what specific setting is this?

7. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Windows setting is found in the power settings. In the Control Panel, go to Power Options. Click on "choose what the power buttons do". Then, make sure that "fast startup" is enabled. That setting is different from the "fast boot" setting in the BIOS.

trvelbug likes this.
  8. [sito_web]

[sito_web] Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello folks!

Finally 1.7.1 is here!

9. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    is it safe to rollback xps bios just in case this one causes issues?

Mr.Bricss likes this.
  10. DrMindRiot

DrMindRiot Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Guys,

Was wondering if you could help me make a decision. Because of some of the issues I have been experiencing with my machine, Dell offered to provide a full refund. I have a day or two to make a decision.

The machine seems to be running well now, but I continue to have issues with the 4k Display. It seems like these displays just suffer from back-light bleed problems. The end result is that there are tone changes in some parts of the screen.

If you were in my shoes? Would you take a refund and go with another computer or stick with the XPS 15?

Are there any other notebooks that you would recommend over this one? I use it primarily for graphic design, and 3d rendering. I don't really game much at all.

Thank you in advance.