]]>

XPS 15 (9560) Drivers

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by cloud023, May 22, 2017.

1. DrMindRiot

DrMindRiot Newbie

Reputations:
    Fresh install of Windows 10 Enterprise... It's the 1709 Update I believe that caused this.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. cloud023

cloud023 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is not something I have experienced yet, on Pro or Enterprise. For blocking the Intel HD drivers, I have added all 4 of the hardware Ids, and that seems to do the trick for me (tries to install and fails). For the realtek driver, I uninstalled the software, and installed the newer version after a reboot.

3. DrMindRiot

DrMindRiot Newbie

Reputations:

The group policy prevents from a driver being installed but it successfully removes the existing driver first in my case, upon reboot, there is no display driver installed.

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    You may have got the group policy setting wrong as it works fine here. Never tried to uninstall it 1st

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

5. DrMindRiot

DrMindRiot Newbie

Reputations:
  6. cloud023

cloud023 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My setup process is usually as follows:

1. Change to ACHI, install Windows 10 (or any flavor of Ubuntu for dev purposes) without wifi
    2. Install the drivers 1 by 1, after downloading them onto a flash driver before hand, and rebooting after every install
    3. Change group policy for the Intel GPU, adding 4 hardware ids.
    4. Turn on network access, install the updates
    5. Nuke the Windows 10 metro apps using powershell

7. DrMindRiot

DrMindRiot Newbie

Reputations:
    I did exactly the above except I did not do no.5. Finally, I did not restart the computer after setting the Group Policy, maybe that is what caused the issue, but I know it worked as it did not install fresh drivers over the ones it removed. I will try again, so far, I've had quite the adventure with the xps 15.

8. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, any real proof that these kind of "complex installations" actually make a difference IRL, like performance, DPC, stability etc?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

9. cloud023

cloud023 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If the question is using the drivers provided on this page VS letting windows update install the drivers, then yes since the Windows installed graphics drivers are still very out of date (for intel it is 4771) and for me that version still causes chrome freezing on video playback.

IMO, the recent drivers in the last month or so have greatly stabilized. The Realtek audio drivers used to be the leading cause of crashes (audio only, not whole system) but the current version has worked 10+ days without a reboot and no crashes.

The Nvidia driver installed by windows update is currently 388.57, and comes with telementary (which you can disable using instructions with the post). With 390.95 the settings panel applies much quicker.

10. The_Dude_Cares

The_Dude_Cares Newbie

Reputations: