XPS 15 (9560) Drivers

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by cloud023, May 22, 2017.

1. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The delay may be due to Explorer building multimedia file previews, if your Documents folder contains many. Somewhere in FE settings set it to general not multimedia files.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No it's an Nvidia bug where it switches from igpu to dedicated. I have it with the current version on my 7577. There are work arounds for it but no real solution yet. Nvidia points at microsoft and vice versa.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/5qcmir/nvidia_optimus_issue_graphics_appear_to/
    lots of other info out there.

Temp "fix"
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming...and-Optimus-issues-TEMPORARY-FIX/td-p/3921585

DrMindRiot likes this.
  3. dthowell

dthowell Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there any way to use Intel Rapid Start with the 9560. I had it on my old laptop and loved it. Saved battery and booted super quickly.

4. cloud023

cloud023 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    May or may not be what you are looking for, but Windows 10 has fast startup enabled by default. With a SSD, it should take only a few seconds to boot up.

On another unrelated note, I will be updating all of the drivers/BIOS/chipset drivers very soon. A new batch of drivers have been released due to the XPS 9370 unveiling. And the BIOS for the 9560 has also been recently updated to address the Intel processor vulnerabilities.

DrMindRiot likes this.
  5. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The XPS's boot times really aren't that bad once it boots into Windows, especially not with fast startup enabled. No Intel Rapid Start is going to help you with that.

The XPS's problem lies with the startup time of the entire BIOS boot. It takes the laptop an incredible amount of time before it even attempts to boot the OS.

6. cloud023

cloud023 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Agreed ^ You can speed up the boot process by changing the POST settings in the BIOS I believe.

Also most drivers have been updated with the new stuff from the 9370 now.

7. DrMindRiot

DrMindRiot Newbie

Reputations:
    Cheers! Looking forward. I am in the infancy stages of setting mine up and this will be immensely helpful.

8. lesz

lesz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There are actually 2 separate "fast boot" settings. In Windows, there is a fast boot setting that is a part of the power options. Enabling fast boot in Windows decreases the boot time on my laptop by about 5 seconds. Also, though, there is a different fast boot option in the BIOS Post settings. Enabling that option shortens the boot time for my laptop by about 2 seconds.

For my XPS 15 9560 with the i7 quad core processor, 32 GB of RAM, 4k screen, and 1 TB SSD, the BIOS time is typically right around 8 seconds, and the time from pressing the power button until the desktop appears is right around 9 seconds.

9. DrMindRiot

DrMindRiot Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed the updated drivers on the 1st page to the letter. Everything was working well, but, Windows went into Update, and after the restarted. It removed the following drivers:
    Funny thing is I had a Group Policy protecting the Intel Graphics HD 630 from being installed nad it still removed it. It also stated that the Realtek driver is not compatible with this version of windows. Anyone else experience this problem?

Seriously considering disabling Windows Updates completely, bad idea?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  10. cloud023

cloud023 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Am I correct in assuming that this was not a fresh install of Windows 10, and was the version that came with the device?