XPS 15 9560 battery replacement quirk

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Kazeko, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Kazeko

Kazeko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys! Ive replaced the 50wh battery of my 9560 due to high levels of wear with an OEM 97WH battery that ive got off a dell parts seller on ebay. The battery shows genuine serials and ID numbers, and the laptop detects it as a legit dell battery.

Now Ive been having a substantially longer life span of the laptop during internet/youtube/office work with the new battery, much higher so than the original one back when the laptop was new. The battery reports 3% wear which seems pretty in line with what one would expect.

Now my issue comes to running dedicated gpu tasks when on new battery: any gpu intensive task that uses the gtx1050, drains the battery to 5% within 10 minutes of operation and warns of shutdown. Whats funny is that if i ignore those warnings and force the laptop to keep running the task regardless of what the battery charge reads, It can go for a long while yet, suggesting that the juice is actually there but something is borked with the reading.

Any idea on what can be done to prevent this false reading? Thanks in advance!

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you're running the GTX1050 at full speed while on battery, it likely just can't keep up. Nvidia should be downclocking the GPU while on battery in order to use less power and help keep the battery safe/happy. I would check to ensure that is the case. Also perhaps a couple of discharges and recharges will help windows figure out what the real capacity of the battery is.

3. Kazeko

Kazeko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply custom90gt!
    The tricky part is that while it does sat 5% on battery after mere ten minutes, I get about an hour out of the remaining 5% by disabling the battery induced sleep/etc.
    Ive got 17 discharge cycles recorded on the battery so far and outside of the scenario of using the 1050, it has a pretty accurate reading during other types of usage.
    Wouldn't the over all reading were screwed if this was a calibration issue?

Cheers!

P.S: notice it says 0 calibrations, but ive done the whole "fully drain then fully charge" for a few times now. must be a bug.

Attached Files:

• 11.png
      11.png
      File size:
      14.8 KB
      Views:
    • 11.png
      11.png
      File size:
      14.8 KB
      Views:
  4. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The battery looks dodgy, post a picture of it. It's only showing as 91700mWh which is not right. Design capacity should show 97000mWh minimum. Mine shows as 97003mWh. There are a lot of knockoff batteries being sold on ebay as "OEM"

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    pressing likes this.
  5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Chips were cloned a long time ago, this shows typical usage patterns of a cheap battery pack with a fake chip if it discharges that fast.

pressing likes this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    eBay & Amazon vendors have a variety of schemes. For example, garbage knockoffs that weigh virtually nothing. Full OEM battery packs that failed QC being resold. Used good quality batteries with little remaining life making their way into new packages. An OEM vendor could be running the factory nights/weekends but stuffing garbage batteries/components into housing.

Outside of garbage performance, modern laptop batteries are extremely dangerous. OEM batteries typically have rated protection circuitry for charging, use, and heat. There is a small probability runaway battery ruins laptop and could burn more.

Contact Dell or a reliable reseller not on eBay/Amazon lol.

Dell had a recall on some XPS batteries so check to see if your laptop falls under that.