XPS 15 9550 Throttling

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by proless, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't see any issues. PL1 and PL2 are correct at stock watts of 56 and 45, respectively. I don't see any undervolt registered here. Exit XTU and restart computer. Don't touch XTU again for now.

Next you can look at the other ThrottleStop comments I made.

Once you get everything sorted you can try increasing turbo long/short watts/time in XTU; don't do that now.

2. proless

proless Newbie

Reputations:
    i reset everything to zero offset to see if this was causing the issue but nah it is never that easy :(

actually where i am now the temperature reaches 35C so it is hot (even i start throttling :D)

i will check your other comments and report not today though it is late for me now

pressing likes this.
  3. proless

proless Newbie

Reputations:
    @pressing i did -160 undervolt for core cache and enabled speedshift like you said it was not enabled, as for intel power balance i didn't want to mess with theses values because i have no idea what is this and which values for 6700HQ are best, here are some pictures, the min temps while Idle and max gaming for 30 min cs:go medium setting: what are the problematic temps ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

which components should i put thermal pads on ?

[​IMG]

this what i did, it is messy but i wanted to cover everything where the small label PL is written

[​IMG]

4. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't see sth obvious, except if it happens to be the DIMM at 62?
    You could open graphs of some relevant sensors and check what goes on at the moment when PL1 power limit throttling kicks in. Tell HWinfo64 to save the log file, then you can open and analyse with log viewer. If you can produce multiple logs in different conditions it should be possible which temperatures are at the same level when the problems start in different runs.

There is also the on-line method - get the open laptop to the point of throttling, then see if local cooling at particular points with a straw gets it out of throttling.

proless likes this.
  5. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your Throttlestop says "Monitoring", I believe that means the undervolt is not actually turned on. Try pressing the "Turn on" button below.

proless and pressing like this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You might remove some of the excess blue thermal pads you placed on top of components. Some people had benefits with thermal pads in the vrm area but I don't know if padding other areas is hindering rather than helping.

The PCH is an exposed die near the battery. I can't see it in your picture above, but it is closer to the battery on the right hand side. You might pad that to the casebottom

proless likes this.
  7. proless

proless Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks guys for your help i will try out your tips and log the temps in different condition and analyse them, it will take some time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.