XPS 15 9550 temperature observations (undervolt + repaste)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Based on the reported results of other NBR members, 19*C decrease is a good result of repaste + undervolt.

Are you doing your undervolt by ThrottleStop? If so:

1. as long as you don't enable the "clock modulation" or "set multiplier" it seems you can try:
    control panel>all control panel items>power options> (choose either Balanced or Power Saver)

2. in ThrottleStop in the "TPL" window you can enable SpeedShift. There are two check boxes. Also the min should be 1 and the max should be max turbo rate of your processor (I think your 6700HQ is 35). Then you can adjust the EPP which determines processor performance. 0 is max performance and probably max fan. The Highest setting is max energy savings and probably min fan (it could be 255, 100 or 64 but you need to check on your system). Out of the factory, Intel seems to guide manufactures to set at an average setting (say 127 or 50 or 32).

3. Check out the ThrottleStop Guide and the 9550 Speed Shift thread for better info. Getting your system tweaked takes a bit of trial and error

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-15-9550-skylake-speed-shift.796891/

If you are using Intel XTU for undervolting, note there are some conflicts with the 9550. It put my laptop (and a few others) into premature power throttling. Remove that software from your system.

Make sure your paste job was "even". Look at the temps of the cores and make sure they are pretty close (say 0-4*C difference but I'm not sure what the tolerance should be). Look at the temps of other sensors to see if something else is getting really hot when your CPU is around 40*C; those could be triggering the fans. Did you properly replace the VRAM thermal pads and make sure the heatsink is making good contact with the pads?

Also note that the temp sensors are not so accurate at 40*C since they are "tuned" for precision closer to the 100*C range where things start to have problems. Regardless, I don't think your laptop should be running more fans after a good paste job.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    UHD likes this.
  2. arshcaria

arshcaria Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for these helpful tips. I guess you meant "Speed Shift" in the TPL window.

I enabled it days ago using EFI shell which overwrites a byte in the firmware to enable Speed Shift natively in BIOS (tho the setting is still hidden). I believe you know that post in the Speed Shift thread.

The SpeedShift tweak significantly improves performance (in terms of responsiveness) in power saver plan. But not so noticeable in balanced or high perf plans.

But I restored the initial value (turned off speed shift) because it drains more battery than without it. I think it drains 15-20% faster in power saver plan. I go to library a lot so battery life is a big concern to me.

The fan noise it a bit better than before repasting, but still not so quiet as my wife's Macbook pro 15 (2015) under similar workload. Macbook seems to prefer quietness than lower temperature? Personally I don't care too much about the heat (unless it is unacceptable high) so I like the way Macbook handles fan speed more.

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Check your paste job, no good having a wild guess with a new paste m8, it is a pain but bolt it down then take it off again and check the spread, clean up and try again until you know how to do it for that particular paste. took me about 4 attempts with MX2 until I was happy and it has been great since. It isn't like I don't know what i'm doing as I have done hundreds of repaste jobs in my line of work!

4. arshcaria

arshcaria Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for the advice. I tried 3 times but the fan noise is still there.

Here are the temp and fan speed in idle. The temperature in my house is 25*C.

http://m.imgur.com/pXlaRnF

http://m.imgur.com/YnslSmh

EDIT

You may have noticed the core temps are uneven. It is not likely due to uneven pasting but seems to be uneven 6700HQ heatsink.

Here is a thread talking about that.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ven-core-temps-due-to-uneven-heatsink.797477/

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah the whole core temps uneven thing should be ignored unless you have a >10 degree celsius variation and even then it will normally be 2 cores higher to show it's lifted on one side. Considering we have a delidded CPU as well it is rare for it to happen and such a small die that it should spread out anyway. If you find a 10 degree difference under load it's normally time to panic.
    Without even clicking that thread I am giving a professional opinion on laptop thermals from my Toshiba laptop training and on top of that a decade over overclocking and water cooling pushing chips well beyond the designated specs.

Also a CPU's thermal sensors are not calibrated, they have no screw to turn to adjust the resistance :p

All the above aside your temps are absolutely fine, the fans are at idle so nothing untoward with that. I assume it is light load causing them to kick in or poor ventilation?

A quiet room doesn't help but if in doubt go find a 5 year old laptop and it will drown out your 9550 fans ;)

pressing likes this.
  6. Umarion7

Umarion7 Newbie

Reputations:
    Quick question. My ArtiClean just arrived in the mail, was left outside in the cold for awhile and froze. Is it still safe to use?

7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's from the Artic!!!!

Umarion7 likes this.
  8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not sure why you are asking that question in this thread, try emailing the manufacturer's.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Let it thaw and it'll be fine. Hope it didn't explode.

katalin_2003 likes this.
  10. iCracked

iCracked Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Stock compound, undervolted CPU: 92 degrees C
    Arctic Aluminum compound, undervolted CPU: 76 degrees C

Much better.

pressing and custom90gt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.