XPS 15 9550 temperature observations (undervolt + repaste)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    You can install Dell command power manager and set thermals to performance. I thought it was software only but it changes the BIOS as I have formatted since I last installed it and the laptop never went over 4000rpm (it got very hot)
    It turned out it was still set to cool mode so I set it back to optimised and it ramped to 4900RPM straight away!

It also turns out my last repaste was badly done as I was hitting 95c, the transfer was good a see through layer on the CPU but I tried MX2 and got the same then went back to the Gelid GP2 and shaved nearly 10 degrees off. Fekked if I am my hundreds of repastes know why.

pressing likes this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    [edited article link]

Optimized Balances performance, noise, and temperature.

Cool Cooling fan speed is raised to maintain a cooler system surface temperature. Your system may produce more noise and experience reduced performance.

Quiet Cooling fan and processor speeds are lowered to reduce fan noise. This configuration may also reduce system performance and raise system surface temperature.

Ultra performance Both processor and cooling fan speeds are increased to produce higher system performance. This configuration may also produce more noise and higher system surface temperature.

Can we make these changes without installing Dell Command Power Management? Or do we need to install it, change settings and uninstall?

I see a optimized [edited], cool, quiet and ultra performance on the dell article; are you now on the ultra performance?

I read a lot of people reporting very consistent performance with MX2, even a few years after pasting.

Some of the overclockers are reporting great results with "uber pastes" but heat issues after a few months so in a continual repaste calendar. I haven't noticed any significant degradation of the Gelid paste over the past few months, so we will see how that goes...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  3. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Just running optimised now & you can't make the changes in BIOS but the program doesn't run at startup, you load it, make the change and close it. uninstalling it doesn't change the setting you picked either.

As for the gelid, I think I just had a bad application?

pressing likes this.
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks GonZ0, I just bumped up to "ultra performance".

Now fans are a bit busier (a bit noisy). Intense CPU activity in a very large, real-time, highly latency dependent music synthesizer program has improved measurably. Concretely, dropouts and clicks from the CPU "falling behind" have fallen considerably. Not earth shattering but it allows me to reduce buffer size by 1/3, decreasing latency by a similar factor. YMMV on other software

[EDIT - to be clear, "ultra" did not improve performance by 1/3. System was almost good enough to reduce latency by 1/3, but "ultra performance" pushed it over the edge. Maybe a 5-10% bump up in this particular application at the extremes. Sorry for any confusion]

Interestingly, "ultra performance" removes audio clicking when using my new USB2 DAC (which has its own ASIO drivers by RME). Those problems existed this afternoon when not on "ultra performance":

1. When listening to youtube on M$ Edge at 1.5x speed
    2. When changing brightness with the f11 & f12 keys

Unfortunately, listening via the internal speakers (with RealTek drivers) still have clicking in scenarios 1 and 2 above...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    GoNz0 likes this.
  5. einsteinchen

einsteinchen Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Restarting my XPS does reset the voltages, thus I do not bother reinstalling programs for now. The icons for the activity and temp are already in my bottom right corner ;)

6. Ktulu85

Ktulu85 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hmm ... I am definitely getting some CPU throttling while gaming, even on High Power settings. My i7 clocks drop from around 3400 (with turbo boost) down to around 1500 once the throttling begins, albeit keeping the CPU at a respectable 60ish degrees.

If I inhibit the throttling using Throttlestop, or by removing the Intel Thermal Framework, my clock speeds stay up at max but my CPU temps start reaching 90+ degrees. Not sure if that is a comfortable temp for the CPU.

pressing likes this.
  7. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Well it can do 90 but will BIOS throttle regardless of any software once it hits it's limit. Did you repaste?

8. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This thread has really been confusing me after I left. I never had temp/throttling problems with throttlestop to undervolt 150mv. I peaked at 85 gpu and 78cpu with full turbo boost, no throttling with ts open. What's been the problem? Vrm heating up?

9. Ktulu85

Ktulu85 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have set the undervolt to -150mv and disabled turbo on throttlestop. Still, after about 15 minutes of gaming, my CPU clocks are dropping from ~2.2k to ~0.8k with TS open and "on", and getting major framerate drops. The CPU temp doesn't get much higher than 80 degrees before the throttling begins.

Am I missing something in TS that I need to adjust?? I'm on AC power, Windows power setting is set to High Performance, Dell Command Power Centre is sent to performance.

I have not repasted yet. I guess I'll have to try and see if that helps ...

10. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Get the repaste done :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.