XPS 15 9550 temperature observations (undervolt + repaste)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Dec 28, 2015.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Finally had a night off from studying. Went to a buddy's house and played Rocket League for a couple of hours. The hottest the VRM sensor got up to was 82*C. No idea what it would have went up to stock, but my guess would be quite a bit warmer.

I will post a graph tomorrow with clocks and temps just for fun.

pressing and GoNz0 like this.
  2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    Sounds promising, I think I will give it a go.

3. Gerty

Gerty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What are the implications of changing the Windows power scheme on this TDP throttle?
    Initially I switched to "maximum performance" which kept the CPU clock at base level at all times (thinking it would reduce these power related clock drops) but since it did nothing when the PL reduction kicks in, can we actually reduce our heat levels by allowing the CPU/GPU to downclock when the load is not as heavy (like main menu, idling etc in gaming sessions)? A bit less heat would help, but on the other hand this setting might also change the way fans operate?

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    So here is a little chart that I put together, it's a bit jumbled up but I think it gets the info out:

[​IMG]

I made a %Max Clock - this just takes the cpu frequency and divides it by 3.5ghz to show what percentage of max turbo the CPU is running. I don't know what the drop in PL1 wattage was about, but CPU and GPU clocks were still near max.

pressing likes this.
  5. einsteinchen

einsteinchen Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Last week a Dell technician replaced the board and cooler of my XPS. I did a bit of testing with three scenarios, again playing Dota2. For the undervolting I used the settings CPU -170 mV, Intel GPU -100 mV and CPU cache -100 mV. The mod mentioned by @custom90gt is not yet implemented.
    • red: undervolted
    • green: repaste and new thermal pads, undervolted
    • blue: repaste and new thermal pads
    http://imgur.com/a/0wvoC

EDIT: repasting made a big difference, but I do not know if it was the thermal paste or the pads that did the trick, since I replaced them together. Undervolting does not seem to help.
    EDIT2: after I got the new board and made the red recording I uninstalled Intel Thermal Control (or something like that) and reinstalled it again. No clue if that has something to do with the better performance.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    pressing likes this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Glad the replacement went well.

Funny, on benchmarks I was seeing most thermal improvement from undervolting (eg say 11*C from undervolting and 5* from repaste/repad). That is not atypical for 9550 users.

Also, for the 9550 I think you need the CPU and CPU cache undervolted at same amount. Check the ThrottleStop thread to confirm.

I remember you have complete deleted the defective Intel XTU.

Did you turn on ThrottleStop? It is a bit confusing. at the bottom right corner of the control panel, you will see a button that says "Turn off" when it is ON.

Also check to see that your undervolts are actually set. Click on the FIVR button and you should see the FIVR control panel. In the upper right corner you should see offset voltages with your three undervolt numbers (negative numbers).

Also review the simple ThrottleStop guide by Eason one more time to make sure you did not miss a step or misconfigure something. It is linked in his signature of anypost

7. einsteinchen

Reputations:
    @pressing yes, I will read up on ThrottleStop, since I am also a bit confused by what I found. But note that playing Dota2 for 30 - 40 minutes is not actually a Benchmark, since games play out differently every time. Additionally, room temperature was +- 2°C the same for all three test. Intel XTU is completely removed from my system, since I did not install it after I but a clean Win10 on my XPS.

Now to the funny news. Yesterday I played again some Dota2, with throttling to 1000 - 1200 MHz while CPU Temps were around 60 °C and the Ambient sensor reported only ~80 °C. So I do not know if the replacement of the board actually fixed the temp issues or if the throttling yesterday was regarding some software problems.

Also I complained to Dell about coil whine, since my board made buzzing noises. The new has a high pitched coil whine only when
    connected to the PSU, this is driving me bananas...

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    What does your VRM sensor say when it throttles? I was able to play Rocket League for an hour at 3.3Ghz without any throttling.

I don't have any coil whine with my system so I can't comment there. I would say have them try again with replacement if that's the case.

9. einsteinchen

Reputations:
    With Ambient sensor I mean VRAM, or at least the small chip marked with a red arrow by GoNzO a few pages back. This was around 80 °C. Today I played again and the throttling went only to 2200 MHz, with CPU around 75 °C and Ambient/VRAM of ~95 °C. I am really confused by the variation in temperature and performance under comparable conditions.

Could you tell me how thick the thermal pad are, which you put on R22 chips? I would like to test this next before Dell replaces the board again ^^

10. secondvision

secondvision Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could undervolting also decrease the amount of coil whine noise?