XPS 15 9550 temperature observations (undervolt + repaste)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Progress, The DIMM sensor is not the DIMM sensor at all. I think it shows correct in the BIOS as it seems low but Aida64 reports the sensor on the edge of the board shown here

HWiNFo64 shows the right sensor.

[​IMG]

Amazing what you can find with a q-tip with a drop of liquid air as it dropped the sensor from 55 degrees to 10 degrees in an instant!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    And I am removing the thermal pads off the back of the heatsink as the whole laptop is getting warm, it isn't worth it.

pressing likes this.
  3. Bommel87

Bommel87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is a very nice find. Thank you! So it seems that this sensor corresponds to the voltage regulation for the CPU/GPU. Makes sense, these things are usually cooled on GPUs.

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So, what does this censor do, again? Would cleaning it with alcohol make a difference, or it requires some special applicant?

5. Bommel87

Reputations:
    The voltage regulators around the sensor supply the CPU/GPU with power. In that transformation process, they produce heat. That sensor simply measures the temperature in that region. Cleaning it won't help, but you can put passive coolers on the regulators.

Gonzo used liquid N2 to locate the sensor on the board. He observed the temperature in bios while cooling it and then concluded it must be that device on the board.

Kikuri and Eason like this.
  6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ok. Was curious if that was causing my firmware-level CPU throttling after a few minutes of gaming. It isn't PROCHOT, temps are fine, and it isn't TDP-- it's something in the firmware. It can be overridden with TS, but I'd rather not have to.

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I use AIDA64 and it bugged the hell out of me as I knew DDR4 wouldn't get that hot. I didn't test it in the BIOS as that seems to read correct, I knew that sensor was 10 degrees above everything else at the time.

Maybe the AIDA64 dev can get the right sensors sorted out, I am waiting for his reply after providing sensor dumps. I got the 9530 working via dumps last year so fingers crossed.

Kikuri, Eason and Bommel87 like this.
  8. Bommel87

Reputations:
    They should pay you for that. Nice work!

By the way: You said that the BIOS reading is correct (for DIMM I assume)? For me, that is already enough to know.

Kikuri and Eason like this.
  9. zuffy

zuffy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I repasted my XPS L502x and 9550 with MX-4. Got a little better result than Arctic Silver 5.

Kikuri likes this.
  10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Aida64 has been updated, the latest BETA now has corrected readouts, temp4 is not the DIMM from what I can gather via HWiNFO64

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.