XPS 15 9550 temperature observations (undervolt + repaste)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Dec 28, 2015.

1. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You could look up TB3 controller labels and find it on the mobo. But it might as well be the USB-C circuitry which handles the power part, as the WD15 is also affected, or a part of the general charging circuit. I think it is better to look at thermal images. Even on external thermal images (presumably without dock), there appears to be a thermal source near the PCH towards the side edge near the battery connector. Got a FLIR?
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-15-2017-9560-7300HQ-Full-HD-Notebook-Review.195668.0.html
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Precision-5520-E3-1505M-UHD-Workstation-Review.213844.0.html
    https://notebookitalia.it/recensione-dell-xps-15-2017-25405/temperature-batteria-conclusioni
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/11670/the-dell-xps-15-9560-review-infinity-edge-part-two/7

2. kinglear0207

kinglear0207 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    Do anyone here experience a throttling when temp VRM at 77 degrees? I had re-pasted the VRM - choke with artic 6wk , repaste gpu cpu. temp GPU CPU when stress load is 67 and 85 degree.
    In the first time after repaste , everything is fine.VRM reachs 90 but there is no throttle . Then after i got throttle more frequently. I think this problem caused by the driver of TB15 dock or after bios update from dell . But just my guess

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  3. YanYang

YanYang Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've finally taken the plunge after a couple of years of owning an xps 15, since at some point the ac adaptor fan noise became intolerable, maxing out the fans at 5100rpm under normal usage. I found that whilst repasting the cpu and gpu didn't make much of a difference under my normal loads (I used arctic mx-4, whose longevity will be tested as I use it), by padding the pch to the bottom cover, I was able to reduce the pch temperatures whilst connected to the ac adaptor from a toasty 60-75 celcius down to a 40-50 celcius, which reduced my fan noise quite a bit.

This did not completely solve my issues, however, as whilst playing some fairly simple games, such as Enter the Gungeon, the whole system would throttle. This is due to the VRM as mentioned above, however since I did not have any mini heatsinks to hand, I decided to use some 1.0mm 6w/mK arctic pads on the VRM. Instead of padding to the bottom cover, which has been said by gonzo in the past to have caused a heat loop, I instead covered each row with a thermal pad, and then connected them to the nearest heatsink or plate on the heatsink as possible.This not only eliminated throttling in these games, but also further reduced my temperatures, although under extended heavy loading throttling is still an issue.

I no longer, however, suffer from TDP throttling in throttlestop

upload_2018-6-21_23-25-54.png

and after twenty minutes under prime95 ffts, my i7 6700HQ maxed out at a toasty 71 celcius, with the fan speed varying between 3200 - 5100 rpm as the VRM temperatures fluctuated. No throttling was experienced during the stress test.
    upload_2018-6-21_23-28-2.png

ambient = vrm area
    upload_2018-6-21_23-29-1.png
    I also undervolted, however since I was in a hurry, I don't have results from before the repaste and padding, only after. My voltages were -150.4mV on core and cache, with a conservative -85mV on the iGPU. I also made a small adjustment to the turbo ratios, with 3.5ghz single, 3.5ghz duo, 3.2ghz triple, 3.0ghz quad.

Woodking and pressing like this.
  4. nosauce

nosauce Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You were absolutely correct! The fans are constantly on at low speed. I just wasn't hearing them. So nevermind my previous post!

5. nosauce

nosauce Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I apologize for the confusion but as it turns out my 9550 also has the fan on at idle when connected to the TB16. I just didn't hear it until I put my ear to the bottom of the laptop.

But in general, the laptop seems to have the fan on at low speeds often when it's not connected to the TB16. When I turned on my 9550 at he library, it had the fan off for maybe 5 minutes before it came on at low speeds without much activity going on. The library was warm that day.