XPS 15 9550 temperature observations (undervolt + repaste)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by custom90gt, Dec 28, 2015.

1. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. Cooler-master

Cooler-master Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe diod of PCH does not in south brige?

Who can say what under the 1 at the picture and what is the 2?

Thx!

Attached Files:

3. _sem_

Reputations:
  4. Cooler-master

Cooler-master Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I took that cover off at one point but I don't recall what was under it. I mean you can try padding things one at at time to see if it makes any difference.

6. _sem_

Reputations:
    Images below "7. Removing the right cooling fan". One small chip dunno what, many small smd components, display connector.

Further below there's the south bridge chip marked with a green rectangle.

7. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone here ever fixed what causes the fans to go on at complete idle, when you have a TB16 connected? I don't mind the fans when pushing a workload, but the constant fans of the laptop when doing absolutely nothing is a bit annoying. Still haven't read about what actually causes the fans to turn on. PCH? TB chip? Something else?

nosauce likes this.
  8. nosauce

nosauce Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    EDIT: I was mistaken about the fact that my fans are off at idle. It turns out they were on at low speed, and I just wasn't hearing them until I put my ear against the laptop.

I'm sensitive to noise and that would annoy me a lot. You're talking about the laptop fans, correct? Not the fans on the TB16 unit itself? I can never hear either of the fans when idle with the TB16 connected. Here's some information about my setup that may help ID the problem:

1. MOD: I added thermal pads on top of the PCH and the VRM's. The thermal pad I used is ARCTIC Thermal Pad 1.5 mm, Silicone Based, 6.0W/mK Thermal Conductivity. I cut 3 small pieces and stacked them so that it touches the aluminum base of my computer. Some people say that this is not effective or may even worsen the heating. I have no idea but I can read you my temperatures at idle if you want. I didn't make any mods to the TB3 chip (I have no idea where that is).

2. I have a laptop cooler. Whenever the TB16 is used the laptop cooler is running.

3. TB16 connections used: I use the thunderbolt outlet to connect my 4K monitor at 60Hz (via thunderbolt to displayport cable). None of the displayports are used. USB 3.0 port connected to my monitor's USB 3.0 hub and peripherals attached to the hub. USB2.0 port used to power laptop cooler. I think that's it but I can check when I get home.

4. Latest drivers/firmware from Dell Support and Thunderbolt website. most recent bios for my 9550 (1.7.0 I think)

I hope this help. Let me know if there's anything else I can check for you to help troubleshoot. Thanks for recommending the TB16. I'm very happy with it's performance and my laptop performs to its full potential thanks to the high power delivery. Love the 1 cord solution and currently using my extra power cord that I keep in my bag at the library. The TB16 is a wonderful solution that does exactly what I need. I don't know why it has such bad reviews (hopefully it doesn't die on me).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    MrBuzzkill and pressing like this.
  9. _sem_

Reputations:
    Is it that they are actually silent or you just don't hear them spin? :)
    I mean, I don't hear my 9550 on the WD15 at work usually, although the fans are spinning at low speed around 2500 rpm, due to the office noise. But I hear it when I'm alone and all other computers are off. I assume most folks that are bothered by these fans would actually like them to be totally off when idling (light browsing, word processing and such).
    I've got TG8 pads on the PCH and the fans are sometimes totally off on the AC charger at home (laptop on a flat desk) but very rarely on the WD15 (with the rear raised slightly for better airflow). Idling PCH temps in the forties on the charger and in the fifties on the WD15.

I've got a laptop cooler pad, but it doesn't make a difference at idle, because it makes about as much noise as the fans at low rpms, isn't totally silent. Just raising the rear by a few cm with a straight bar lowers the temperatures a little bit already.

I thought I might try using a metal strip to thermally sink the PCH to the nearby fan case. Dunno if cooler than the case when the fan is still, but at least cooled actively when the fans work. And rather use metal for conduction than thick layers of pads, just thin pads or paste for the contact surfaces. And fix with insulation tape so that nothing can move.

Throttling down the power profile would probably help, because the fans spin less on battery where the profile is downthrottled by default. But this is not a popular move ;)

Another thing I've noticed is that is seems possible to take over fan control
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ol-fans-on-dell-laptops-under-windows.805317/
    If I read correctly there is a program that can take fan control away from Dell EC; not so good at substitute control but that SpeedFan and such can be used; however only coarse PWM control over fan speed in large discrete steps is possible. So the thing looks a bit messy.

10. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah I meant the laptop itself. At idle, is constantly at 2500RPM for me, when connected to the TB16. Not everyone seems to have this issue though. I contemplated on putting pads on the PCH as it is at 50-55 degrees for me at all times when I use the USB-C / Thunderbolt port. But I have read for other people that this doesn't make a difference. It might be the thunderbolt chip itself heating up, but I can't even find info on where this chip sits on the motherboard.

Also used a laptop cooler, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. It can't cool the laptop through the vents due to the copper sheet sitting there, not is there enough surface area + airflow to really cool the back of the laptop.